What to do? I got fired from lease company. Thinking about my own authority.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by nsxftw, Oct 22, 2016.

1. nsxftw

nsxftw Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2011
    n/a
    I had a 10 mph over on speeding ticket on my harley davidson and 1 non prevent incident in my 4 wheeler. Lease company told me i have to let it go. I called other lease and they won't take me because of my speeding ticket.
    I've been looking several trucking insurance for my own authority but its almost 9-12k year.

Any advice or tips what i need to do? Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Don't jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.

OOwannaBE, 123456, tucker and 2 others Thank this.
  4. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Hi,
    Welcome to Wal-Mart

thodges, OOwannaBE, alghazi and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    I'd hate to be accused of not giving helpful advice, so....

I was 22. In 10 months I got a 5 over and a 10 over in a truck. I also went out and got myself clocked doing twice the legal limit on I-35. Bikes are fun, right?

Ask me how much fun I had working as a lube & tire tech for the next 2 years waiting for those 'lessons' to fall off.

As for the insurance... especially as a new entrant(even with a clean mvr) you gotta pay to play.

7-UP, lilillill, wore out and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some of those drayage companies don't seem to be too particular; companies like Triple Crown Services and some others.

thejackal Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I hate speeders but that's something else. So my advice is this - just apply to all the ones you can, even the ones you don't want to go with and see who responses with an offer.

8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Not condoning speeding,.. but any one who says they dont or havnt,. is a liar or in something that obviously cant.

My advise is to always seek an attorney for any and all moving violations. My MVR is spotless for more than 15 yrs now. And I have had several tickets in that time. If you want to play,.. be prepared to pay,..one way or the other.

As for how to continue on. Look for some smaller companies and call on them to see if they can make it work. You may have to pay a percentage for increased insurance rates due to your record. That or pony up for your own authority and insurance.

You put yourself into this situation,.. you know full well that your license is your livelihood. The carrier I am leased to has let 15 people go due to various problems that are effecting insurance rates and CSA scores. I was shocked,.. because his company is now half the size it was. We are small.

Like it or not,.. be more mindful of what you know will put you in a bad way.

Hurst

9. colorado18spd

colorado18spd Medium Load Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Fight the tickets.

123456 Thanks this.
  10. Gentlemanfarmer

Gentlemanfarmer Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    HURST gave good advice. If you haven't gone to court on the tickets, you will want to fight them. I use Road Law, but there are several other legal services to choose from. If you rely on a CDL for a living, you must protect it at all costs.

You might want to call OOIDA on the insurance and authority issue. If those points have already been applied to your license, you may be screwed, because insurance may not want to insure a high risk start up.

11. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    5 mph over is sometimes what i do, but going 10mph is risky.

i agreed, if you want to speed, the you understand the consequence and agree to pay the price. You're rolling the dice on your career.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.