what to expect from crst.

Discussion in 'CRST' started by nosleep4bishop, Aug 3, 2016.

1. nosleep4bishop

nosleep4bishop Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks chief. I hate that #### thing hahaha. But you're a trainer and god forbid we cross paths at crst and you fail me so i never said that lol.
    Thanks man i appreciate the knowledge.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nosleep4bishop

Aug 3, 2016
    What does the crst test consist of, would you know?

4. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Take a look at Prime. They have a tanker division and will train you. There program is in my opinion better than the program CRST put me through. I would put my application in tonight and then call them first thing tomorrow morning. You might be able to get out of your current contract with CRST at this point since you really havne't done much yet.

Prime's program is pretty comprehensive. You'll do 2-3 weeks with a cdl instructor one on one while out on the road getting real world experince behind the wheel. Then you would come back and take your CDL test at the terminal. Once you pass your test, you'll then go out with a trainer again for at least 30k miles before you upgrade to solo status, that usually takes another another 6-8 weeks. During that 30k miles phase you'll be making $700/week. Once you upgrade to solo status you'll be making 46cpm on the reefer side. Not sure what the tanker side pays but I think it's the same rate.

I wish I had known about Prime's program before I went through CRST's. I know I would have been much further ahead in my finances if I had. I know I made no where near $700/week during my training period with CRST and I might of had one or two weeks where I grossed $700 at the very end of my 8 month contract.

Prime may not be the best program for you. @Chinatown usually has a good list of companies to try and there is also a list on this forum of companies that pay for CDL training here http://www.thetruckersreport.com/jobs4newtruckers/

Just research, read, and keep asking the questions you have been.

Oh yea, I remember my recruiter saying they did all my background checks as well. When I got to OKC for orientation that's when they started doing the background checks and making past employment verifications and run the criminal and driving records check.

nosleep4bishop Thanks this.
  5. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    The road test?

6. nosleep4bishop

Aug 3, 2016
    Yes. Ive heard several different things but only will take heed to captains that have been through it already and can speak from experience.

7. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    It's a joke man. According to my students, the okc road test is pulling out of the terminal, going through approximately 2 red lights, pull into the Pilot, turn around and go back. It's one mile tops. Test is given by company drivers whose trucks are in the shop (they pay them by the hour to give the road tests).

Pretty much the same deal in Cedar Rapids.

Nothing at all to worry about. In the unlikely event you fail, they will test you again after lunch and you will pass.

8. nosleep4bishop

Aug 3, 2016
    Hahahaha. Right on my dude. Thanks for the help!!! Im now looking forward to calling my recruiter and getting this handled accordingly.

alghazi Thanks this.
  9. nosleep4bishop

Aug 3, 2016
    I just looked at prime and i woukd say it does seem like a better program by far. The only flip side is, my 72 hours are uo and i can't get out of my contract which is bridged to crst by my school. The only way i can attend prime is if the director allows the change with a $500 deposit and prime reimbursing my tution. Which i dont think would happen in my case. But hey I'll never know if it will happen or not unless i try, right? But if i was to break contract then crst could impose a $1500 penalty against me and my training has cost me $3200 which isnt bad in my opinion, but the school i attend is a joke. So im lowkey frustrated but not really because i anticipated this type of shenanigans anywa so i have my big boy pants on and just have to face reality.

10. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    LOL, yeah that road test was a huge joke. The truck we did the test in was gross. I am pretty sure the white stuff on the floor wasn't paint. They put 4 of us plus the person giving the road test in his truck and had us leave the OKC yard, go across the freeway and then switch at the stop light while it was red. Even one of the new guys ran over 3 constuction cone things and the trainer jumped out and put them back up and then told the student to keep driving. He was told he passed the test. A joke is an understatement for sure at OKC.

I don't know if Prime would or not. At this point I don't think you really could be charged since you haven't gotten your CDL and the only instruction you have had is the book work stuff to get your permit which you came in with already. They may send you a collections letter and yell and scream at you, but if you don't get the CDL through CRST's training program they can't say they got you your CDL. I think that contract they have is pretty easy to get out of especially since the number of lies they tell you and how they don't keep up there end of the contract.

Worst case is you go through CRST's program and do your 10 months with them and then switch to a compnay like Prime. Like I said, I wish I had known about Prime's program before I got suckered into CRST's really crappy program. My last co-driver over there who went through the training school in RIverside, CA was never tought how to back into a dock or parking spot by the school or his trainer after he got his CDL. I ended up teaching him how to back up and it took him 4 months before he would stop waking me up to back the trailer for him.

I got lucky because I was sent to the Houston Community College to get my cdl license. So the college had actual certified instructors and everything and we had 3-5/day behind the wheel once we got our permits. It was only 3 students to one instructor and truck. Class sarted at 0630 and didn't end until 1730 with an hour lunch break in there. It was long hard days, but well worth it for what it could have been.

My first co-driver went through the Dallas school and it sounded like they basically got 6 hours of wheel time before they were sent to test and headed to OKC.

Just keep an open mind and know that it won't be easy the next 10 months, but during that time, keep your record clean, understand how important a pre-trip is and if anyone from CRST or another driver tires to tell you that you can run with a piece of equipment you don't feel safe running with, tell them they can come pull it themself because if you get a ticket, have an accident or get put out of service it's your license and career that's in jepordy, not them.
    image.jpg
    This trailer was loaded with a Flamable when wet load and they shpper and CRST tried to tell us we had to pull this trailer. You could reach in through the side and touch the placard product. The shipper finally swapped it to a trailer that was road worthy but they were pissed at us for making them do it.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    svtn.com
    Service Transport Company

nosleep4bishop and redoctober83 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.