Which flatbed company to go with?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by shadowlurker, Apr 21, 2016.

1. shadowlurker

shadowlurker Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a new CDL holder and am interested in getting started with a flatbed company because they look interesting to me and offers opportunities down the road. I'm trying to decide between some companies. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts in particular in terms of what features or company specifics.
    I live in Auburn, WA (near Tacoma). I'm single but have parents in the area and like this are so am trying to find a reasonable balance between work and home time. I have researched each of these companies so I'm really trying to prioratize what they offer. Hard to know for sure until I actually work what is important to me.

First company: Knight Transport based in Auburn, WA. (not the big Knight Transportation). Small comapny about 70 trucks. They don't have tarps but rather have roll tops and curtain vans. Medical is decent at about $104/month. Pay is OK, not stellar. .33 based + .02 fuel bonus + .03 safety (.38/mile start). No Canada which I'm neutral on. Big plus in my mind is that all freight is routed to and from my home city so I would get the most home time I think from this company.

Second company: System transport. Based in Spokane, WA so kinda close to me and I think I would get incindendal home time if I take my 10hr break but not as much as from Knight. Pay is decent ranging from 37.5 to 61.5/mile based on a sliding scale of how far the route is. 2 weeks vacation after 1 year. They use tarps which is $20 to tarp and $15 to untarp. Canada routing is $100/trip. Medical is a bit high at $165/month for medical/dental. No 401K match until after 1 year. I like they have different fleets so I can switch and move up within the company.

Third company: Melton transport. Strong starting pay at 39/mile and then up to 41/mile after a few months plus bonuses for fuel, cananda, and hazmat. They use standard tarps and have good equipment (kenworth 680 with apu, nav, i think they have direct tv), and other perks at their terminals. The big downside is their location in Tulsa, OK which is far from me and while I'm told they route thru washington, I'm not sure if it's often enough where I can hope for any extra home time.

So, I guess my main question is the terminal location that big of a deal? I think for Knight it is since they specifically route freght thru the auburn area.
    Also, is a pay cut worth not tarping? I'm wondering if I would make up in extra drive time/ miles/ lack of stress not tarping. Not to mention safety.
    thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    I think System would be the better option. Melton would probably want you out at least a month at a time. Never heard of "small" Knight just "big" Knight. Not saying anything against them just not enough info on them to form an opinion one way or the other.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    From what you post, the small Knight is best for home time.
    Leavitt's Freight Service is another to look at. They hire new CDL grads.
    Lynden might have local/regional but it's not flatbed. They run daycabs & sleepers.

5. FlexinTarzan

FlexinTarzan Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Stanfield, OR
    Central Oregon Truck Company (Redmond, OR)

Hunt Transportation (Omaha, NE)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I've talked to a couple Central Oregon drivers out here in the East, and they have all been very happy with the company. In fact, they've tried talking ME into signing up! And I live in freakin' PA!

Yes, they tarp. But tarping is pretty much a fact of life in most flatbed operations. Heck, I'd probably suffer a nervous breakdown if I couldn't find my tarps!

7. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    I don't think COTC takes new CDL holders

8. Marky84

Marky84 Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Jefferson, WI
    and melton has driver facing cameras now

seawind Thanks this.
  9. seawind

seawind Medium Load Member

May 8, 2009
    West Tennessee

COTC is not a bad company. They are OK.

Hunt is crap!!! The safety director is Adolf Hitler and they will tell you anything to get you to orientation. Then you find out there is no reimbursement if you discover what they don't want you to realize about Hunt during orientation. If you are there for orientation, they repeatedly tell you that you are "not" hired, yet. What??? We came to Omaha, NE from all over the country to sit in a little room and be told we "don't" have a job yet!!! Seriously??? They are still checking your application etc., during orientation!!!

They also got upset because we were talking to current drivers about the company during our breaks. They freaked out and told us to get in the room!!! It was like being in Kindergarten and the 4th graders were filling us in on all the garbage happening at Hunt.

I could go on quite a bit about these jokers, but I won't. Maintenance is fair and their equipment is adequate. They give you barely enough chains, straps, etc., to do your work and ##### if you need more. When you get permission to do "whatever" they demand to know you talked to and then that person says "what? I didn't say that!" In other words, same old stuff, different company.

10. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I can tell you about Melton. They're a really good company. They screw up and hire the occasional bad dispatcher, just as a bad driver sneaks through the filter, but they never last long.

The miles are decent ONCE you get efficient at tarping. They tarp a LOT. I would 80-90% of my loads had to be tarped. They paid $40 tarp pay when I was there.

I've heard they put cameras in their trucks now. They didn't when I worked there. But, to date myself, I ran paper logs when I was there. Lol

Also, I would dare say you'd have to stay out at least 3-4 weeks based on where you live.

I don't have any experience with the others you mentioned. But, if it were me, I'd give a hard look at that small outfit that doesn't tarp.

I never minded securing the loads, but I hated those tarps and that's why I left the flatbed world.

shadowlurker Thanks this.
  11. Hardhead69

Hardhead69 Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Go

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.