07 4900FA both low beams quit working

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by Ellipsoid, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Ellipsoid

Ellipsoid Bobtail Member

May 8, 2013
    Sioux Falls, SD
    hello all, I have an 07 4900fa.. just left the truck stop got about a half mile down the road. Heard a sound I hadn't heard before from the fuse panel location. Then lost all dash lights and my low beams. Everything else is working.

Took the cover off the fuse panel, and the 8A resetable switch for headlights fuse with a yellow cover on it... the red reset button was popped.
    Pushed it in, the headlights come on for like 3 seconds then it pops again. Moved a 30A fuse to it and it would pop that too. Also swapped a relay for the low beams. Same problem.

I pulled the headlights out and all wiring is good.

I read in this thread
    Western star low beams not working

That it could be the turn signal stalk assembly?
    If that is what it is, would it also cause my dash lights to go out? I assume those are related since they are in the same switch?

Curious if anyone knows before I tear everything apart looking for bad wiring. Should I try to replace that and see what happens?

I guess my question is, if it is that stalk, or the headlights switch. Would that cause it to keep popping the fuse. Or would it be a wiring thing.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Yeah...I certainly can help. What's the last 6 of your vin?

Ellipsoid Thanks this.
  4. Ellipsoid

Ellipsoid Bobtail Member

May 8, 2013
    Sioux Falls, SD
  5. RocketyMan

Jun 5, 2015
    Sorry for the late reply on this. But the post you referenced has very similar wiring for your vehicle. Some things might be slightly different--but in terms of headlamps they are the same as described in the other post schematic.

You should have 10 amp breakers for your headlamps--not 8 amp. But at any rate, we can check the wiring from your main fuse panel to your bulkhead connector. Then we can check from the bulkhead connector to your headlamps to see if there is any problem. I suspect a short somewhere if it's popping the 30 amp like you're describing.

Use the other post's schematic, and tie it to this one for checking headlamps:

upload_2020-7-30_9-32-15.png

Here is the bulkhead connector location. Note: it's the 76 pin connector with the bolt through it. I think the middle--if I remember correctly or not:
    upload_2020-7-30_9-53-59.png

Ellipsoid and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  6. Ellipsoid

Ellipsoid Bobtail Member

May 8, 2013
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm going to be looking into it this weekend, thank you!
    The evening of that day, I drove on a washboard road for about 25 miles delivering to some windmills. After I got done with that, I reset the fuse and my headlights were working again.

So I will be looking at what you said here, and a while ago in the other thread to see what I can find. Thanks again.

7. RocketyMan

Jun 5, 2015
    @Ellipsoid Please keep me and this post updated. Thank you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.