1099 contractor was not paid 2 invoices and deposit

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Trukkface, Nov 16, 2023.

1. Trukkface

Trukkface Bobtail Member

May 13, 2023
    Conus
    I work for a small outfit out of Kansas (4 trucks). Everything was great till it wasn't.
    Regarding the deposit. The contractor just stated taking money out of my settlements with no agreement, discussion or asking. Stated it was for any damages I may cause.
    After some disagreements I decided I should find other people to work with.
    The truck was returned in better shape than I recieved it.
    This guy now refuses to pay my last 2 settlements and deposit totaling $4800.
    He claims he is not running freight. Excuse After excuse. I extended an olive branch and connected him with a freight broker that could keep his trucks.
    running. He never called. I'm left with the assumption that this guy is a theif/crook.
    If anybody has information on how to handle this. I would greatly appreciate your feed back
    I

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Well for starters he's paying you 1099, go to the IRS because it's fraud. Also, why are you ....working for 1099 when you're not?

tscottme and wis bang Thank this.
  4. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Wage Claims and Hearing Procedures - Kansas Department Of Labor (ks.gov)
    Independent contractor rule released | Kansas Press Association (kspress.com)
    I would also contact the State and tell them you were misclassified as a contractor and ask how/where to file a complaint. Many times the State will investigate and you will get paid for the extra money taken out and even damages. You can also contact an attorney, sometimes the attorney fees are taken out of any total settlement and other times they are paid by the other side. You could also try the Federal Dept of Labor (DOL) though they may not take your case. They primarily do a lot of lower paid workers such as restaurant workers and nursing home help. State is you best bet and if you don't get anywhere there then see an attorney.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
    tscottme Thanks this.
  5. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Why didn't you request your money when you turned in the truck? Like a hostage/ransom exchange.

6. Blackjack55

Blackjack55 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Most of these 1099 companies seem to operate fraudulently. From hacking into you ELD, to stealing pay. I will never ever work for one again

Big Road Skateboard Thanks this.
  7. REO6205

REO6205 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

Good plan.

slim shady Thanks this.
  8. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    My advise is too late here But for future 1099ers who don't think they will ever be paid what is owed
    Find a nice little truckstop in the Memphis area and let your boss know where it's at. But only after the boot it. Once it's booted go pay for a parking and keep the receipt

Big Road Skateboard Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.