2001,379, blower motor and resistor, location and repair?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Mr. Cob, Aug 10, 2023.

1. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy All,
    I have a 2001, 379, the blower motor/fan switch will only work when on the HIGH, number 4 position and then it only barely moves any air. I am "ASSUMING" the resister is bad but have no idea of where to look for it. Again, I am "ASSUMING" the blower motor can be accessed behind the large plastic cover under the dash on the passenger side but really don't know where it's located or how to get to it, I think the blower fan is loose as it rattles when it spins.

Any help you can give in me being able to find and replace these parts will be greatly appreciated, THANKS.

Dave

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Lower cover in front of passenger seat needs to be removed.
    Glove box needs to come out also.
    You will see the motor unplug wires
    Pull out rubber that feeds cold air to motor.
    4 bolts hold blower motor in air box.
    Save yourself the aggravation and buy the motor and cage as one unit.
    Them wheels are hard to get off and if you bend it it will sing to you.

4. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    Everything FLHT said sounds correct. I didn't have to remove the lower panel though. I have a 91 and mine is directly behind the glove box. The fan switch is on top. While you're in there, consider cleaning fan blades and heater core fins also.

NightWind and Mr. Cob Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Ditto @FLHT.

Mines 1995 - about 8 screws holding the glove box in place then it's all there.

The little panel with one screw at the passengers foot has your condenser behind it with the cabin air filter.

I use CAB MATE - it's a plastic case with charcoal filters that you replace, I keep mine changed out pretty regular after having to replace the condenser that was totally plugged with crud from the previous owner.

NightWind and Mr. Cob Thank this.
  6. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    You get it expoused check the Connection at the harness to the resistor before you start replacing parts .. 50 to 60% of the time its that connection the terminals get corroted and cause problems sometimes you can clean the Connectors and coat them with dieelectric grease reguardless do that if you replace any parts.. that area can be prone to Is moisture
    WARNING .Do Not .. I repete Do Not .. have your hand or fingers on or near that squirrel cage if you power it up
    Don't ask me what happens or how I know

7. Mr. Cob

Howdy FLHT,

I also pilot an RKC, as well as the Pete. Thanks for your detailed explanation now It's off to tackle this task.

Dave

8. Mr. Cob

Howdy Coolbreezin,

Thanks for the good advise to check and clean things whilst I am in there.

Dave

Coolbreezin Thanks this.
  9. Mr. Cob

Howdy blairandgrectchen,

As I just replaced the condenser last year, I'll be sure to check out this "CAB MATE" thing. Thanks for your reply.

Dave

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  10. Mr. Cob

Howdy Catmando,

Thanks for your reply, I don't have to ask, I too have experienced slashed fingers from them being someplace they shouldn't have been when the switch was thrown. Dialectic grease is one of my best friends NOTHING electrical goes together without it being used.

Dave

blairandgretchen and Last Call Thank this.
  11. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Old nubby fingered @Catmando is what they called him.

Mr. Cob and Last Call Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.