2016 peterbilt 579 with 370,000 debating on buying warranty

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pumpkinishere, May 5, 2021.

1. pumpkinishere

pumpkinishere Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2021
    What’s a good extended warranty company to buy warranty on our truck. We are thinking the extended warranty that covers emissions but unsure who to purchase this insurance through

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    First do your due diligence to see what condition the truck is in then look at a warranty, and remember that you need to go through the entire contract to see what is and isn’t covered.

4. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    yeah, emissions truck traded in. you will need a warranty for rest of life. Good luck with them paying it out and have fun with the lost wages and down time with it going back in all the time and sitting for a week only for same problem to happen again
    Disclaimer, i dont know from experience, i own old iron. I just read about the horrors all the time. but hey good luck

Vampire Thanks this.
  5. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    There is no good extended warranty company to buy a warranty on your truck. Trade it in and get something newer or brand new with a factory warranty. Best of luck to you.

Diesel Dave and AModelCat Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Unless you're eligible for extended warranty directly from the manufacturer you're just tossing money out the window. Those aftermarket warranties should be classed as a scam as far as I'm concerned.

You'd be money ahead to just stash that cash away in your maintenance fund instead.

Diesel Dave, Eddiec and Vampire Thank this.
  7. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    If your going to run team miles buy new, and buy factory extended warranties.

AModelCat and Vampire Thank this.
  8. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    So let's make sure we're running right behind the truck when they're throwing the money out the window. Do you think it will be singles, twenty's or hundreds?

upload_2021-5-5_21-3-46.png

Diesel Dave, Brettj3876 and AModelCat Thank this.
  9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If it’s at a Peterbilt dealer see if it qualifies for their Red Oval warranty. Anything else don’t waste your money because it probably won’t cover the important stuff anyway.

10. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    Now when I get a truck, it’ll go through a dealer, and if they won’t cover it with warranty from whatever Freightliner/KW/Pete, I’ll go to another dealer,
    You won’t have to go to far, there will always be someone ready to take your money.

I’d personally stay away from Arrow, I wasted a day to go check out a truck, to it looking as a repo return, everything on their lot had problems, including one 2016 Pete that the AC compressor didn’t work, they didn’t know, or said they didn’t.
    Only truck I seen on their lot that might have been good, was an old maverick truck, but it had 670k miles.
    But as long as you know what your looking at, you may do fine, or pay a mechanic to go with you.

11. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Traded in just in time before the problems start....

Vampire Thanks this.
  12. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    A 2016 with that low of miles I would venture to say it was likely a problem truck from the start, or the engine hours are super high for the miles.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.