3 drop load?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by DDlighttruck, Feb 18, 2017.

1. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    i don't actually know how to trip plan a 3 drop.
    London, Ontario to Sigourmey Iowa. Then Humboldt Iowa. Then Geneseo Kansas.

The Humboldt drop doesn't receive late in the afternoon. I can leave whenever I want Sunday.

How do I plan that efficiently? Fresh 70

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I would probably want to get close to my first drop in time to take a ten hr break before I start my drops. You should be able to get 1st two done 1st day and get in postion to do fianl the next.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    MrEd and DDlighttruck Thank this.
  4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Thats a rough one. I personally cant stand multiple drops or picks, especially when they are spread out. Expect to lose at least another full day for these types of loads. Shippers and receivers are usually where the hangs up occur.

To expedite the process, try to be in communication with the receivers.

Hurst

DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  5. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    I don't know still. It's 720 miles to Sigourney. I won't know until Monday what time they close. The best I could hope for would be unload Monday late aft, or first thing Tuesday. Looks like 4-5 hours to Humboldt, then 450 miles to Geneseo. So try and kick Humboldt off Tuesday as well, then aim for Geneseo. Wednesday.
    Does that sound as jumbled as it sounded typing it? Hmmm. And that's if everything goes smoothly.

6. Driver91

Driver91 Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Try planning for 15-20 drop LTL furniture loads lol.
    I usually drive to my first drop, take a 10, and roll from there. Of course most of our drops are furniture stores so only open normal business hours and not really a line of trucks waiting to unload. Pull up, drop the stuff and roll out. Sitting at the truck stop by 5pm.

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Do 'em all the time. What's the problem?

I'd start by notifying each customer and verifying their address & business hours.

Are you familiar with the freight? Allow an hour at each one to unload.

Don't over think it, get after it.

Macneil, rearview, Big_D409 and 3 others Thank this.
  8. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Doing a 2 stop for Costco. It helps that I'm allowed to start a 10 right here at the first Costco where I'll unload at 4am.

I guess that my recommendation; find out if any customers allow truck parking.

mitmaks Thanks this.
  9. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    As a company driver I hated multiple stop loads. As an o/o I like them. Good way for me to put several hundred $$ in my pocket. Having a good GPS helps a lot. I plan my route on my gps beforehand and able to ser how much distance is to next stop. I like calling receivers in advance to let them know im coming.

10. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Did 22 drops the week before this past one. Receiving hours are pretty much between 8 and 4 for all of them. You go till you can't go anymore and then continue on the next day.

--

Your first drop is 650 miles. What does your truck average on the highway? Best to think 50-55 mph including slow downs, stops, etc if you run a 65 mph truck. So that's 12 hours driving, so it'll be a "first thing in the morning" drop on Day #2. Border crossing could be a delay. Current weather could be a delay. Definitely plan for Tuesday morning.

Second drop is about 200 miles from Drop #1. So probably just under 4 hours driving (mix of state highways and interstate). What kind of product are these drops? What's your unload times look like? You should be able to bang off both these drops on Day #2 if everything lines up.

If you have time on your clock left, you start heading towards Drop #3 and stop where you run out of time. Then continue on on Day #3. It's likely going to be 8.5-9 hours driving, so you'll want to get as much driving done as you can on Day #2.

Deliver day #4 and reload, two days back to London. Six day week. Lots of mulah. You'll also gain two hours once you hit the Canadian border that could get you home sooner.

In summary:

Day #1: Drive to drop #1
    Day #2: Deliver drop #1, drive to drop #2, deliver drop #2; possibly drive to drop #3
    Day #3: Drive to drop #3
    Day #4: Deliver drop #3, reload; possibly drive back home
    Day #5: Drive home
    Day #6: Drive home

EDIT: Oh yes, and don't forget about calling the customer if you get delayed. Depending on what you are bringing them, you might be able to convince them to hold a receiver back beyond their hours and still unload you.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Dave_in_AZ and DDlighttruck Thank this.
  11. Driver91

Driver91 Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Definitely call in advance, I use google maps and google earth to get a view or where I'm going and make sure I can get in and out easily. Sometimes also helps cause you can see trucks parked there or where you can park across the street or where ever close by so maybe you can get by without having to start your clock until you have to.

DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.