50 Vehicle Crash already, wow

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by iceman32, Nov 12, 2019.

1. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014
    nobody does that anymore. The evolution of a trucker went from road knight to a highway cowboy, now to a “Everyman for himself” kind of guy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Kind of a weird way of looking at things, and hope you never run into something where you have no control.
    At least twice I have seen a good running wet road turn into a skating rink in just a second or two. both times in Texas. Once at Madisonville TX, I drove in and parked, my pickup and the road was just wet from rain, before I could walk the 40 foot or so to get inside the next vehicle went by doing circles, it had froze just that fast.
    The other time was at George town Tx, I had unloaded and was headed east on 29 in a light rain. The over pass on I-35 froze over between the vehicle in front of me and me, I started to slow down to make the turn on the on ramp and just sped up. I got turned around and eased up the interstate a couple of very slick miles and got parked at a small truck stop, stayed right there 3 days watching the wrecks on the off ramp happen. lol
    Either time could have easily (plus a few thousand others over the years) turned out very badly.

4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    It looked like I-70 between Indy and St.Louis must have been bad too. Big truck skidmarks thru the median cables, cars still in the right ditch with yellow tape. Just before Effingham there was an Effing-CRST O/O just getting pulled our of the Effing-median by 2 Effing-rotators.

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  5. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN

It's true that things can ice up quickly. It's also true that most of these incidents (not all, but most) wouldn't be as bad as they are if the people would just pay more attention and/or slow down. Call me what you want, when the wind is blowing like the big bad wolf and there's a possibility of freezing precipitation, I slow down. 5-10 under max limit isn't going to ruin your day, running into the ditch will.

Big_D409 and iceman32 Thank this.
  6. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    I-55 was pretty bad too. They were still pulling trucks/cars out on Tuesday.

7. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
  8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Sounds a bit too Darwinian for me.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  9. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    You shouldn't over drive the conditions, but a guy can crash at any speed too, I know of at least three rollovers that were completly stopped. lol
    One was on s double barreled scraper, not a truck. I was stopped long enough the boss and dozer hand had got there and kept yelling for me to jump. I would have had to jump on the down hill side, no way was that happening, better to ride it out. lol

FlaSwampRat and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  10. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014

Unfortunately we live in a 1st world economy mindset. The clock keeps going. EEOC will strangle an employer to death if they don’t let a certain employee take a religious holiday. But where are the laws protecting people from bad weather events? Some of these employers will wait until the governor gets on national TV to declare a state emergency, and then not showing up to work will be “okay”.

You see, currency wise, we make more than most people in other countries. But here’s the thing, the starting line to get by in life is the same. Except Europeans work less hours, have more holidays, have 2x the amount of vacations than us.

China and Japan already have suicide nets for their corporate and retail workers. We are next in line lol.

HoneyBadger67 and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  11. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    That is the great thing about being a truck driver, the boss is seldom riding with you, so can't make you drive if you are afraid too, period.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.