64 feet long, Stuck on Notch!

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Val_Caldera, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    Ah, send in a Swifty first, They’re Best in Crash, he’ll clear the way.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  3. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Maybe a vehicle length sign is needed I’m sure some campers get stuck too

MOBee and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    From the article, South Carolina-based driver Mykola V. Onukevych, 30, told troopers that “he did not see any flashing bill boards indicating to avoid the area and to not follow his GPS, but he did notice signs that said ‘No TT Units.'

Troopers noted that the total length of the vehicle and trailer was approximately 64.9 feet.

Onukevych was cited for Commercial Vehicle Operation Prohibited with a fine of $1,197.

The fine should be $10,000 for being stupid.

I had a guy apply to my company, he listed a ticket he got for driving on the same road. I asked him and he claimed he didn't see the sign. Obviously I didn't hire him.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  5. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    They actually have a greater fine for a second offense?? :eek: The penalty for that should be losing your license for life, as you're clearly too stupid to be trusted to drive a shopping cart.

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  6. evanstransport975

evanstransport975 Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2020
    I'd like to know where he got that stepdeck

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Someone or some kids could have covered up that tiny little sign.

8. RocketScott

RocketScott Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Kentucky
    Not sure where the signs are with flashing lights. Google street view only shows one sign going south:

Google Maps

The guy wasn't driving a tractor trailer so I guess that doesn't apply

Maybe this is it? Can't tell what it says besides 'Thru The Notch'. The fact that all we can see from a camera mounted to a google car traveling about the speed limit tells me that it's reasonable for the driver to see nothing more than 'Thru The Notch' as he drove by

Google Maps

Tractor trailers prohibited sign:

Google Maps

Massive Prevost RV going through:

Google Maps

Oh the irony, there's a warning sign going northbound AFTER the notch to tell big trucks that there's a 14% downgrade for the next half mile. What truck that could fit through there would that apply to? Maybe just dump trucks?

Google Maps

Seems like the signage is lacking. Maximum length signs would be much more useful than generic 'tractor trailer' signs.

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD

10. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

This is the thing... Usually, these roads don't have a place to turn around after you see the sign. A road near my house has a weight-restricted bridge and the road itself is fine for trucks and if you're looking on a map it looks like an obvious route to go. However, you get down the road and it's like 3 miles before there is a sign to warn you of the bridge and there is nowhere at all for a semi to turn around much less even a box truck.. I see trucks say screw it and drive on through all the time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.