66 year old waiting to hear from Walmart for driving position

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by Rando, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Rando

Rando Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2017
    I’m a 66 year old truck driver with a perfect class A drivers license record. Never had a chargeable commercial driving accident and no tickets in over 20 years, perfect CSA score. In the last month I’ve applied for 5 different Wal-Mart OTR regional driver jobs, most of them in the northern US. I’m happy to relocate to any location, extremely flexible. On two of the applications it has been almost 6 weeks since I applied and haven’t heard anything. When I go online it only says “application under review”. Is it possible they are over-looking me because of my age?

NightWind Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    How many jobs have you had in the last 10 years

4. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Are you currently employed as a Class A driver? And for how long? If you are not employed; when was the last time that you had one year of class A driving experience?

5. Rando

Rando Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2017
    2 jobs in the last 18 years

viper822004 Thanks this.
  6. Rando

Rando Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2017
    I’ve been unemployed by choice for the last 14 months but I satisfy their requirement for 30 months of driving in the last 48.

viper822004, Opus and Eddiec Thank this.
  7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Overlooking you because of your age? No, they don't care how old you are. I went through onboarding with a driver who was 82 years old but he didn't make the cut that week. I didn't hear anything for over a month when I applied. That's just how it is. I called a couple of times to find out and basically got nowhere with that. Out of the blue you'll get a call or an email wanting to schedule with you a time for a call from them. That's your phone interview and do not miss that call because you basically have the job once you get that (as long as you can successfully pass onboarding). Keep in mind the current jobs market for drivers is not in the drivers' favor. They probably have 10 or more applications for every job posting. Good luck.

Blagoje, Rando and asphaltreptile311 Thank this.
  8. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    That's plenty good

9. Rando

Rando Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2017
    Thanks for the response. I too tried calling and I agree, there’s no where to go with that. They just essentially tell you that they see your application and it’s still processing.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  10. Yoster

Yoster Light Load Member

May 16, 2011
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    You're right, you just gotta be patient. I live less than 100 miles from HQ in Bentonville and I literally drove up to the central office to try and get some attention when I applied years ago. Didn't get too far that way but made a contact, and felt like I did all I could. Got a call out if the blue what I'm pretty sure was about a year later.

11. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    First of all Read this Age Discrimination - FAQs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.