'99 Volvo VNL Speedometer Issue

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Ilya, Aug 5, 2019.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    @Goodysnap @AModelCat @sawmill - any thoughts?

I know you’re not Volvo owners, but just in case I’ve sent this young man on the wrong path,

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ReneJRR

ReneJRR Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Did you find out what was the problem? Im having the same issue but in my instrument cluster the oil pressure, temp, speed and rpm not working

4. Ilya

Ilya Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2016
    I was not able to find the problem unfortunately. I went ahead and replaced the block of the cluster that has tachometer and spedometer and that also did not help: tachometer works, speedo - not.

One thing did happen reticently, as I was driving in heavy rain - spedometer and cruise started working for a short period and then quit. I also did not mention that I had taken the truck to our mechanic and he told me that after connecting one of his test engine ECMs, the spedometer was working fine, but as soon as he connected mine back - speedo quit. His suggestion was to take the truck to the dealer to have the truck ECM programmed with engine ECM and that should fix the issue. That may be correct, but how would you explain speedometer briefly working while I was driving in heavy rain?...

5. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Have you checked the harness for the speed sensor. Make sure it is not damaged and grounding out?

6. Ilya

Ilya Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2016
    I havent done that yet. I did replace the speed sensor, but I guess I need to somehow check the rest of the harness for issues under the cab. Thanks for the advice.

7. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Did you check the ground wires?

8. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    No problem. I got a 2000 VN770 with a Detroit 12.7L. My oil pressure and boost gauges lose data sometimes and drop to zilch. I smack the dash and they come back. I have a guy in Kentucky who rebuilds these clusters for a few hundred bucks. So gonna get mine groomed and refurbished.

9. Ilya

Ilya Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2016
    I have not. Any specific ones?

10. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Chassis grounds, cluster ground and cab ecu ground would be a good start. Check all grounds to be honest. A grounded truck is a happy truck.

11. Ilya

Ilya Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2016
    10-4. Will do!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.