Aber's Towing and Crane Svc - Ashland Ohio

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Cptn_Deudermont, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cptn_Deudermont

Cptn_Deudermont Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Just happened actually.

Preface - Truck driver, CDL-A (or AZ for our northernly neighbors)

Hooked up with a local company, they offer towing, cranes (the mobile ones that can lift 160k lbs), low-boys, step-deck, and flatbeds. 4 weeks I was there, and I did miss a few days; those are listed below.

Guy who hired me is Jason, former cop, claims to have contracted E. Coli/Ebola (can't remember which one) from going swimming, and lost his job as a cop because he almost lost his arm. (not saying it didn't happen, not saying it did). Now this guy says the proper order for anything is God, Family, Work. Well, I walk a different path than he does, but Gods/ Goddesses/Demigods/Angels/Devils/any divinty be ######, my family will always come first.

Laverne (our cat of 11 years) went downhill REALLY fast over the course of a week. I asked if I could be there for my wife (is also pregnant, high risk, getting hydroprogestrone(sp?) shots weekly) since she bonded with Laverne moreso than I did, so she was going to be very stressed out. I did tell them I didn't need it off, but would appreciate it off, and it was a morning appt to put her down, so I could come in after 12 noon. They let me take the entire day off, and didn't call me in until the next morning.

I have a heart condition (right bundle branch block) which results in some pretty severe chest pain for me a couple of times a year, bad enough that I go into the ER. Missed a day due to that; sent them the medical. Dr didn't want me going to work the next day, but I told Jason I would come in since I had just started and couldn't exactly afford to take off anyways.

Got Type A Flu, was running a high fever(102+), they wanted me to come in (on my day off no less) for a run, told them I didn't feel safe operating a CMV with how I was feeling. Missed a day.

Did I mention my wife is pregnant? and high risk? She got Type A flu (even though I slept on the sectional) and was unable to keep anything down, even water. Was puking like crazy, went to the ER twice in the same day, and they wanted me to come in when she was puking, and unable to take care of the kids. Took two days off for that.

Had a conversation with Jason, and he threatened me with my job if I didn't come in next time he needed me. Naturally, I was very stressed out, and worried about losing the job I had just got that kept me local-ish.

He sent me a work order, i go to deliver it the next morning, and turns out it's the wrong thing. Now... Here's the thing... Because I was so stressed out, I made #### well and sure that there was no other trailers with anything on it. I took video inside the shop, and outside of the shop - there was only 1 trailer with ANYTHING sitting on the deck. So, I took that truck. Apparently, it was the wrong one. He called me, told me to turn around, and then when I got to the shop to park the truck next to the fuel island, but not to fuel; to come inside to the office.

I'm not stupid. It was then that it hit me. It was just like a previous job all over again.

So, I parked the truck at the fuel island like he asked, walked to my van, clocked out (app on phone), and started leaving. I called him up, told him "I'm done.", he asked me to come inside for 2 minutes, if I could give him 2 minutes, and I said "No, my wife is still sick, I'm going to take care of her. The stress isn't worth it. Thank you for the opportunity, but it isn't worth it." We hung up.

This was on Monday, and just got my check for last week, and they shorted me on my wages. I have an offer letter stating that my pay was supposed to be $18/hr, with OT after 40 hours, and they paid me $15/hr.

I am debating on blind-siding them with small claims court, or being nice about it and emailing them about it, stating it might have been a clerical error.

Also, had a 15.5 hour day up to NY and back, because the boss (owner) was too cheap to spring for a hotel for a job that was that close. The E-logs they use are editable by the driver, so they're just like paper logs. And they have no E-log units in the trucks to make sure the logbooks correlate with the usage of the trucks. I AM going to turn them into the FMCSA for that one. Because I have a problem when someone tells me to break the law and their livelihood isn't on the line.

Also, went with someone on an Over-Dimension load that was permitted, but the permits were violated - so they were running illegally.

Where I live is a 1-party state, have all of the phone calls as evidence if they want to dispute any of the above (except the OD load, I wasn't driving it, so I wasn't the one who would get in trouble for it)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    if it weren't for bad luck.....

bigblue19 and Broke Down 69 Thank this.
  4. Cptn_Deudermont

Sep 28, 2017
    It actually sucks, I do have horrible luck when I start a new place. My dad died, strep throat, daughter was born, broke both ankles & right leg, ex had an abortion... just to name a couple.

The thing is, I have fantastic luck for certain things, and horrible luck for others.

driving 11 years, and only recently (November) did I get anything on my PSP
    speed regularly (personal vehicle, and occasionally, CMV - but not like going 100mph - usually with the flow of traffic - 75/80) and had approx 4 speeding tickets in my life - ever
    rarely get sick - but when it does hit me, I'm down for the count.

5. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    God , Family , Work !!!

GOD is my friend and partner in taking care of my FAMILY He wants me to WORK and be prosperous in everything i do.

....we hope the storms in your life will subside and you find good solid ground to stand on for the sake of the ones you love & look up to you for strength & leadership.

nikmirbre, 88 Alpha and whosfate Thank this.
  6. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    The fact is no matter how much empathy anyone has for your situation IMO you are not what employers see as reliable. In over 25yrs of driving I can count on one hand the days I missed due to anything other then me just not wanting to work (that would take a couple more hands).
    Businesses are created to make money. You provide labor & they hopefully pay you. Why people think they should be more then that escapes me. It's not personal, if I as an employer can't count on you, I don't want you around because I got to keep finding someone to take the work.
    The wage deal is easily fixed by filing a wage claim with L&I. And blabbing about falsifying your logs could get you in trouble also.

Lonesome and truckerman75103 Thank this.
  7. Cptn_Deudermont

Sep 28, 2017

I've turned in 2 other companies before for them having me falsify my logs before, you know what happened to me?

not a thing. Other drivers got in trouble, the company got in trouble, but since i didn't work there anymore, I wasn't hit with any fines.

Also, not reliable? I am a very reliable person. Please read 49 CFR § 392.3 - so this would cover when I was sick and was in the ER.

Who, in their right mind would leave a pregnant woman - who is unable to eat or drink anything, and vomiting - to take care of three kids by herself? Answer me truthfully.

That leaves the day we put our cat down. With this day, i did not tell then i wouldn't work, i said i would appreciate a half day, to be there for my wife. They made the decision to give me the day off.

With regards to me missing work, if I sick to the point of vomiting, have a high fever (102°+), or am physically exhausted to the point of falling down asleep, I don't go into work. However, looking at your own words:

You admit to calling off work because of "just not wanting to work", and it "would take a couple more hands" (to count the # of days you've taken off) - yet, you have the audacity to tell me I'm not reliable? I've been driving for 11 years and have never called off because i just didn't want to work. I have a family to take care of, and provide for. What lesson am I teaching my children if I take off work just because I felt like staying home?

Perhaps you should not be so aggressive next time, and request more details before you violate the first rule of the TOS here and start off with a personal attack.

"1. Don't Insult Other Members. You can disagree with a post without using insults. Members who are rude or create a hostile environment will receive a warning. This includes members who provoke fights, and members who participate in fights that others have started. Members who continue to disrupt the community after being warned will be banned."

Your words -
    I view that as an insult because you are calling into question my integrity as a professional driver, and as a person. You may not see it that way because of bias, but I do. I would appreciate it if you refrained from the insults in the future.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Reason for edit: changing time frame
  8. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    He wasn’t insulting you, and I’m not biased. I don’t know either one of you. He simply said employers want folks they can count on and that, in this PARTICULAR CASE, you were not reliable, and that is true. You weren’t. That’s why the boss gave you a warning.

You might historically be very reliable. But, again, in this particular case, you were not. No one is questioning your priorities. I would have done the same as you with regards to my family.

But, as a NEW employee, an employer may decide (as did this employer) to go a different direction.

If you had 3 or 4 years, or more, of a excellent attendance record and then all this happened, your employer would’ve probably been more patient with your situation.

But, unfortunately, all this happened to you during the probationary period. Just bad timing. Can’t really blame them can you?

As far as the money, I would ask them about it. If they give you the runaround, then take them to small claims.

Turning them in for logs? You’re just being vindictive. Would you have turned them in had you kept the job? No, you wouldn’t have.

This is no different than the hundreds of people that come in here saying a company *made* them drive junk trucks or falsify their logs, etc... That’s b.s.

It was fine while they were there and didn’t become a problem until they quit or got fired.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    First of all, nobody can make you drive over hours. Nobody. You have the legal right to refuse to break the law.

Secondly, you threw your fellow employees under the bus just because you were mad at a company that had you doing something you didn't have to do?

Thirdly, you haven't been insulted here. No so far. You've been described according to your actions. Not everybody agrees with you but I see no insults as things stand right now.
    If you feel that you have been insulted you have the option of reporting the post to a staff member and they'll take action according to the validity of the complaint.

10. Cptn_Deudermont

Sep 28, 2017
    in·sult
    verb
    /inˈsəlt/
    1. 1.
      speak to or treat with disrespect or scornful abuse.
      "you're insulting the woman I love"
      synonyms: offend, give/cause offense to, affront, abuse, be rude to, call someone names, slight, disparage, discredit, libel, slander, malign, defame, denigrate, cast aspersions on, impugn, slur, revile, calumniate;

Be that as it may, since a forum staff member is saying I wasn't insulted (by definition, I was) I will drop it.

They were aware of my feelings on driving illegally from the start, and I was told to get back to the shop that night, that they wouldn't spring for a hotel. Also, I was in a heavy duty tow-truck, so ... Exactly what was I supposed to do? Try to stretch out across the seats?

They were aware that I turned in the other companies as well, so what made them think it would be different with them?

I've actually been coming here for a while, and every post I make gets mocked, and I get insulted, and nothing gets done to the person who insults me. I've been nice, polite, and tried to contribute, and yet, it appears that unless you are rude, you are not taken seriously.

Mock me if you will, all it does is show me that you are no better than a dispatcher who has never sat in a truck.

Going to ban me because I am not speaking in a manner that pleases you? Oh no! But, since people can violate the first rule all of the time with no repercussions, why can't I? Hrm?

"1. Don't Insult Other Members. You can disagree with a post without using insults. Members who are rude or create a hostile environment will receive a warning. This includes members who provoke fights, and members who participate in fights that others have started. Members who continue to disrupt the community after being warned will be banned."

There is something to be said for how you say something, and yes - I was insulted, and this is becoming a hostile environment for me.

Am I a snowflake? No. But I am tired of other people breaking this first rule, and nothing is done about it to them, and when I bring it up, "they haven't done anything wrong"

11. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    So, someone that doesn’t agree with you is insulting you. Got it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.