About Leaving Your Car at a Terminal - safe or not?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by NewTruckerGuy, Apr 22, 2024.

1. NewTruckerGuy

NewTruckerGuy Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2024
    So I plan on applying for Schneider...

Looking around the forums I've come to understand that whether they let you take the truck home during home time largely depends on how far away you live from one of their terminals.

Question...

Is it safe to leave your personal CAR at these terminals? Additionally, if you leave your car there for over a month at a time do you have battery/starter problems? How do you go about
    dealing with this situation?

Thanks.

EDIT: I do own a noco boost charger... but I don't think repeated charging of a car is good.

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Some let you take the truck home, but that can lead to a whole new set of problems. With cameras everywhere, your car should be okay at the terminal, as long as it's not a Lambo,,,

NewTruckerGuy and tscottme Thank this.
  4. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    I left my pickup at the terminal for 4-5 weeks at a time. In Texas where it gets HOT. The terminal will make sure you know that they are responsible for NOTHING so just make sure you have a good battery. I never disconnected my battery. As long as your vehicle is in good shape you will be fine.
    There were several vehicles there that the owners had abandoned and they were rotting away.

NewTruckerGuy and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  5. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    A small compressor for a low tire is a good idea. I used one one time when I got to terminal i was so tired I didn't have two (2) working brain cells. Had tire about half flat. Was gonna throw on spare but brain said no lol. Aired it up and made it home.

6. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    One of these for when you re parked.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-solar-battery-maintainer-64251.html

A small compressor would be nice also.

7. semitosemi

semitosemi Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Central Texas
    I've kept my personal vehicle at my home terminal for the last year and a half with a solar trickle charger plugged into a cigarette lighter. Security is ok with it. I installed a new battery while I was in orientation, and it was a little hard to start when I was there a month ago so it may need a new one again

NewTruckerGuy Thanks this.
  8. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
    Install a Viper alarm ,and start your car anywhere,anytime. IMG_2334.png

9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Most terminals of trucking companies are secure. You park inside a locked gate. In that case it is safe to park your car. As to starting problems, that depends on your car and battery. You can get a $25-40 small jump start box from amazon or walmart or jump your car from your truck with jumper cables.

10. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    I left mine in schneider long term parking for 4 months.
    Came back and (Fuel Services desk) had marked my tires to concrete, I asked about it, they thought it’d been abandoned and said another week, it’d have been towed.
    I told him if it’d been towed, my money back would have been to bust every tire/window from his car, and i’d know it cause i’d follow him when he left.

So he said he’d call law, i told him have my checked vehicle towed from furthest long term parking (almost a mile walk back from gate/building) tow it and see.

They left my pickup alone for the rest of my time there, almost a year later.
    Even though you have it checked with fuel services desk, make sure they know if you stay out like i did 3-4 months or they may tow it.

How’d you like to be gone 4 months, ready to come home, check in gate, now your cars gone, and you can’t take truck home(hazmat tankers were required to park at assigned terminal/tankwash)

11. Blagoje

Blagoje Medium Load Member

Jul 14, 2022
    Sheboygan, Wisconsin
    When I worked for Roehl I regularly left my personal vehicle at their Appleton, WI terminal and never had any issues whatsoever. Their parking lots are secured with fencing and have cameras all over the place, not to mention the fact that people are working there 24/7.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.