Advice for new Home Daily Driver

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Duane0428, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Duane0428

Duane0428 Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2021
    North Carolina
    Howdy, 20 y/o about to enroll in CDL school, turn 21 in February, and will be pursuing a home daily job. Located in the Triad of North Carolina, will be a very dedicated employee. Any advice for starting out? Which jobs to pursue, etc? I wouldn't mind running tanker/hazmat if the pay was there, but if the pay was level I'd probably run dry no touch. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Metalicious and silverspur Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    If you have not done so already....BE SURE and check the minimum age requirements for any prospective home-daily employers you may have in mind.

Unless things are different there--you may have a difficult time getting a job for the time being....simply because you're TOO YOUNG. o_O

-- Lual

Duane0428, Bean Jr. and road_runner Thank this.
  4. Duane0428

Duane0428 Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2021
    North Carolina
    Great advice... a lot of the companies around here have a minimum 21 yr age requirement w/ 3-12 months experience, some required, some preferred.

5. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    A friend bought an old truck and hauls logs to the paper mills,home daily and doing well.He's in South Carolina though,Whitmire.

Duane0428 and silverspur Thank this.
  6. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Go LTL and see if you can start on the dock doing either inbound or outbound. 23 is usually the hiring age for drivers. You might gain enough trust to run the yard hostler and eventually pick up some short trailer swaps.

7. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Start a serious job search now. No need to apply anywhere yet, but compile a list of jobs that you will qualify for as a 21 year old with no CDL experience. This should be a big list, not just a couple of jobs. Don’t expect to get hired somewhere just because you meet the bare minimum requirements.

The last thing you want is to spend your time and money getting a CDL, only to find that there aren’t a lot of options and none of them want to hire you.

Duane0428 and Metalicious Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’d second this.

But if that doesn’t work I’d suggest a construction company or a local contract aggregate or equipment hauler.

Duane0428 and road_runner Thank this.
  9. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
  10. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Best advice I can give you being green, don't think you are worth more than you are. If you have 0 miles experience, you will probably be paid for that experience. Isn't what you will stay at forever, no doubt, but if you think you are going to be any shade of rich, you're entering the wrong profession. If you find a good hourly home daily gig, or any really that you like the pay, stick with it, even when it sucks (at times any job is going to suck balls), until you get enough experience to gainfully go elsewhere.

I would look into LTL companies as suggested by others, maybe a job delivering for a soda or beer company, food distribution. I never cared for any of those myself, but flourished in hauling equipment. Most of them may want more experience than you will have, though. Hauling equipment, for like united rentals or one of the other big rental companies most of them I know will teach you to haul, just not drive usually.

Duane0428 Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Duane0428 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.