[Advice Needed] 1,000,000 mile Truck with cracked block... to rebuild or drop-in?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by HamLocker, Apr 3, 2021.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Not being a dick, but it’s the elephant in the room.

I’m guessing you’re the business owner, hiring a driver and leasing on to (whom ever).

Are you sure this is a pursuable business model, or time to cut and run?

Not seeing income figures, I can’t assume, but compared to my own entry into the business, your ROI is looking fairly extended.

TexasKGB, Evil_E, lester and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HamLocker

HamLocker Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2021
    Not a dick at all. Great question. Honestly am not sure whether this is sustainable. After 3 months, including ~3 weeks of downtime, we grossed ~47K with expenses of roughly $45K... there's definitely room for improvement here (~$5k in maintenance + higher overhead costs). Does not include the "equity" we gained in the truck / trailer as well, which is ~$5k.
    Barring the catastrophic failure, we were earning a decent return.... not fantastic but we knew where we needed to improve. Omitting downtime, we were netting ~10% of the gross with upside to increase to ~15% with optimization of a few high expense areas. We were about to pull the trigger on a 470K mile 2012 Cascadia. Once scaling to 5 trucks, we would transition to full dispatch (we just began dispatching our own loads), which would add another ~5-8% to our margins after incremental overhead expenses. That was the plan anyway.

If we're able to sustain 2-3 yrs without a catastrophic failure, then I believe we can succeed...

Coffey Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    If we're able to sustain 2-3 yrs without a catastrophic failure, then I believe we can succeed...

Two to three years?

really you need to think shorter term for profitability and rebuild your ledger to leverage the revenue coming in. Also take a more proactive maintenance and less reactive one.

as for the truck, go to a reputable salvage company, get an engine.

I have bought a few from Vander Haag, but there are many engines just floating around under $15k at different salvage yards.

As for a new engine, don’t bother, the rest of the truck is tired. It is a waste of money, you will end up having a rolling money pit. Putting in something else, well that’s up to you but it would be a bit better of a good business decision to find a truck with an engine you want to change to.

Coffey Thanks this.
  5. HamLocker

HamLocker Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2021
    Good points...

Are there issues installing a newer model ISX15 on the 2013 KW frame? Any particular years that are worse / better than others?

6. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    Personally, if you have the funds. I'd buy another truck. Get it on the road and get that income coming back in.
    Then get id get the right enigine the right way at the right time for the right price. Right now your down and in need.
    Your post are excellent. But sitting is costing you money. Then rebuilding is costing time and money.
    All this talk is a great idea. But if there's no wheels turning eventually you'll have no savings left. I did see you have another truck already. But you just lost 50% of your income and the bills are still coming in. Good luck to you. Shoot you maybe able to use it as a trade in. Honestly I don't know. But good luck.

Rideandrepair and Coffey Thank this.
  7. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Some places to consider:

Vander Higgs several locations
    Sams Riverside Truck parts De Moines, Ia
    Jacksons used trucks and parts Port Deposit, Md

8. HamLocker

HamLocker Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2021
    @bad-luck thanks for the recommendations - hoping to find someone local here in Texas but I guess that may not be possible.

Main question is to go with rebuilt vs reman vs used drop-in.

There is a local place that has a re-built ISX15 for $14K with a core exchange - all of the accessory kit is used (turbo, pumps, injectors, etc), however they replaced the liners, head / head gasket, bearings, seals, oil cooler. They do not know how many miles the engine had previously, which concerns me.

Compared to above, seems like we would be better off replacing the bad components our own engine - since that is exactly what they did (replace only the bad components of an already used engine) - which would be cheaper. However, we've already been cautioned against doing so.

A used engine with known mileage / hours seems like a much better alternative to buying a re-built engine like the above.

Not sure on whether a reman'd engine would be better than going used. Thoughts?

9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You got a hole in the block, you can't rebuild that engine

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  10. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    A used engine may be cheaper and have known milage. However, the trade off is you often wont know where it came from or why it was pulled. Sure it could LOOK sound but nearly anything could be wrong with it. Did it come from an old truck some grandpa drove once a week on sundays and spent most of its life in a covered garage? Or did some swift driver roll his truck and it ran upsidedown flooding everything with oil? Was it well maintained? Was it in a flood? how about using the wrong type of coolant or constantly running bad fuel and def through it? Who knows? The place you buy it is also likely to make up a #### and bull story about how great it is all while knowing its junk too. Even the honest ones may just shurg at you.

A rebuilt is and are typically stripped down cleaned, bored, resleaved with any broken or heavily worn parts replaced either with new or used and are typically a much safer bet then a used engine. Some even come with a limited warranty. However these are only reatored up to where they failed I.E a bad piston will be swapped but the altinator with 500k on it will be left alone as long as it works.

Remans are typically rebuilt engines ++. Every wear part is replaced, they are returned to OEM specifications or as close as is physically posible and tested to factory specs. As a result they end up literally as good as new in most cases. They are more pricey but come with a simular warranty to a new engine in many cases.

11. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Remember your engine is toast, so you don't have a core (Hole in your block). Always remember a "good core" is something that can be rebuilt. In my opinion, a used engine with low miles is the way to go. Most times these engines come out of a wrecked truck. The reason I am suggesting it is your truck has over a million miles. As I mentioned before rears and trans going are something to consider. I replaced my rears at 1.2 million about 3 years ago. I bought new not reman, and my front rear was $2900 and my rear one was $2150. Obviously either way you decide your are going to be keeping the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.