Age question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by bamamac, Jan 1, 2014.

1. bamamac

bamamac Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Alabaster,Alabama
    how many of you guys are 50 plus driving flatbed? Does the auto trans help with fatigue? a lot say that flatbed is a young mans game, but if you are 50 plus I would think the last thing you need to do is sit in a truck all day without any physical activity

bergy and SheepDog Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    I am 47, and (while I HAVE done, and still could do flatbed) I do a job that is even MORE strenuous than flatbed work (multi stop hand delivery). So, don't let THAT stop you.

As for "auto-shifts", I completely despise them...so I am not the guy to ask. I want to be the one in control of how fast I can cross 4 lanes of traffic (not some computer). I have driven both, and can tell you, the only difference (as far as fatigue goes), is no "clutch leg" fatigue in stop and go traffic. Otherwise; the annoyance, and stress caused by annoyance with a ridiculous auto-shift to me is far worse than any clutch fatigue in traffic.

Flatbed is for anyone of any age that can do the work. Strap a 6 foot step ladder to your truck or trailer somewhere (to make them climbs a lot easier), and get-er-done.

4. bamamac

bamamac Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Alabaster,Alabama
    I agree, work smart. Macho man goes out the window after your thirties anyway.

5. ParkRanger

ParkRanger Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm well over 50 and drove flatbed for over 2 years in an automatic. Once you learn how to tarp and secure your load it's not too bad, plus it pays better. The only plus for the automatic is when you're in heavy traffic. I'm now driving a standard and I like it a lot better.

6. Mr.Shifter

Mr.Shifter Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Surprise, Arizona
    I too am looking at 50 well back in my rear view mirror. I did flatbed work for 20 years
    in Europe and would love to have another go at it here. As White Dog says a ladder would be
    a must now, no more jumping down from the trailer :biggrin_2552:

blairandgretchen and SheepDog Thank this.
  7. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    It's all about being in shape not so much age.
    I'm not flatbedding but chip truck can be tough work too, climbing ladders on the bunkers to load, rolling those '53ft tarps over the load that don't want to budge and sometimes climbing on top to unstick them, my live floor trailer I have to climb up a ladder on the front and down a ladder on the inside to setup a sweep tarp then climb back out and then in again for a final broom sweep.
    It's a lot of work for a 57 year old, not for everyone but it helps keep me in shape.
    Take to soft a job and die young I say, work hard and live long, so go for it.
    As for automatics, I like the full autos like the Allison but the auto-shift is a piece of junk, all the clutch fatigue of a stick and a stupid computer controlled trans that gets lost between gears ,bucks and jerks with a heavy load and sometimes flat out won't go back into gear without completely stopping and even going as far as switching off all the power to the truck to reset the computer at times.
    I'm driving one now and wish I had a stick.

8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Interesting to note the disdain for the auto - I thought guys were happier with them than stick.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    other then traffic. i don't know how ANY one could like an automatic.

cruising cali at 900 rpms in top gear. REALLY.

10. Mr.Shifter

Mr.Shifter Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Surprise, Arizona
    Electronics seem to be governing everything we do now......a far cry from crash gear boxes, no power steering, and winding the window up manually :biggrin_25512:

11. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    I haul up to 104,500 gvw and wish I had an 18spd stick,the auto-shift 10 is a POS for this work.
    The Allsion 6 speed automatic is actually pretty good but I'd still rather have a 13 or 18 speed on the big hills.
    Some of our new Macks have a Mack 12 speed M-Drive auto, have yet to drive one of them, might be interesting.
    http://www.macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=9671

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.