Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SavageSam, Apr 28, 2017.

1. SavageSam

SavageSam Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2009
    I want to become an O/O. The thing that's stopping me is I know enough to know I don't know enough about what I'm getting myself into. On the one hand I think the way to go is buy used and pray I don't get a lemon. On the other, I've been driving for the man for twenty years in 2018 and I've never had a spanking brand new truck to call my own. Using my own math I figure in another year (maybe three, depending on how much I want to put down) I'll have enough cash for a GOOD down payment. I'm 50 years old and I plan to drive until I'm 70 and hang it up. Which means I might have to buy two trucks before I quit. Some of my Friends say I'm crazy because I have a good job now hauling fuel. But I want my own brand new ride before I hang up my spurs.

Badmon, TallJoe and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    If you want to do it, do it. You're driving someonelses truck because they went out and did it and were successful enough to buy more trucks.

I personally would never buy a brand new truck. Buy one a year old with maintenance records. Same new smell, 20%cheaper and the break in bugs are gone (hopefully)

But seriously. Do it, if its what you want and commit to. If not, then stay with your gig

fargonaz, Lepton1 and SavageSam Thank this.
  4. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    You seem like a nice guy. And if you've been driving for 20 yrs. then you have more experience then most new drivers on here that want to buy their own truck. If your really serious about it, put together some work first. And do Not buy a brand new truck unless it's a glider. You want to stay away from brand new EPA motors. You are truly rolling the dice, and the dye is loaded. Build a nice truck that you want, you've been out their for 20 yrs so I'm sure you've seen something that strikes your liking, and be prepared to not have money for awhile. It's a lot of work and not much pay off. But it will be yours, and you can do whatever you want with it.

Lepton1 and SavageSam Thank this.
  5. SavageSam

SavageSam Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2009
    I live in Cali. Can't drive a glider in Commiefornia. We're looking into moving into Texas.

fargonaz and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Don't start your company in California bud. They have been Anti-truck since before you were driving, but most recently they have become more anti-trucking then ever. There is a reason mega carriers have been staying out of cali. And it's not because they are republican, it's because whatever miles they turn in the state is operating at a loss. They have money to burn, you don't. Stay out.

SavageSam and fordconvert Thank this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    If you have been driving for a man for 20 years keep doing it. If you had an entrepreneur blood you would have started long time ago.
    If you gonna switch it just for the money, its not worth it, you are not gonna make much more to be worth all that headache

8. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    We're full. Sorry.

SavageSam, Mudguppy, scythe08 and 3 others Thank this.
  9. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Unless it's the happiness - but make sure retirement and finances are SOLID before you do.

If so - best wishes.

ramblingman Thanks this.
  10. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Spoil sport! Texas can take some more!

Just drive I35 , you'll see . . .

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    better look at the numbers freight don't pay much per mile today. I had two truck as my own both had about 450,000 when I got them. Now that I'm back driving a company truck, they gave me a brand new 2017 truck. It's kind funny I couldn't afford a new truck myself as o/o but driving a company truck again I have a new truck. I'm just saying owning your own truck not so much money in it

These new emissions trucks are hit and miss and if you get a bad one like I did they are money pits. My new company truck 66,000 miles and not a single problem. A guy on YouTube got a new 2016 Volvo thing has 33,000 miles and been in shop 3 times for same repair. It was under warranty but the downtime was killing his business. His story is interesting because he is leasing the truck so his boss the guy that actually is on title was able to get him another new Volvo truck to try but a 2017 this time. That a pretty rare thing to happen.

SavageSam Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.