Am I too old to get back into trucking?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chazbro, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    RoadSideDown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    I am 86 now and sorta stiff and stove up. Gave up the CDL in 2011 (Obtained at age 16 in MS as Chauffers' license) due to irregular heart beat (fixed with 4 bypasses) but still have a "protrusion" on aorta that is a minuscule amount over DOT limitations. Were it not for the aorta bit, I would be happily driving for some one on an extra/spare basis. I know where I could start tomorrow if the license was valid. Some of us just "think differently" from others, have different mind sets and have had vastly different experiences in life. To each his own. Live and let live. What is it to anyone else if some of us old guys have wants?

4. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    You may just need to re-apply, even if it's the same job, the position # may be different. When I recently applied online with Schneider, they were *very* proactive about communicating with me. They were calling me within an hour of my application and I had a provisional intent to hire letter after about 10 minutes on the phone with them. They started me at .44/mi with the possibility of an additional .02-.04 cents per mile based on meeting certain performance metrics that don't seem that hard to meet. Pay is not the best out there, but you'll only spend 2 weeks in a truck with a trainer, so they have one of the shortest training periods before you go solo.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  5. chazbro

chazbro Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    I have applied to Stevens and that was a wild goose chase. Recruiter calls and leaves messages, I call back and cannot get ahold of the recruiter. I email the recruiter and get no response. Last time I called them I was put on hold for 45 minute and then got disconnected.

Right now shneider is playing cat and mouse games. I'm basically looking into a company that will pay me while I'm being trained due to our financial situation.

I looked into wilson but with their A seat, B seat and C seat training and 8 plus weeks of training, that's not something I look foreard to.

PTI has inward facing cameras and so does CFI. I looked into EPES and their starting pay once I hit the road is insanely low plus I don't think they do OTR.

the same with yellow and others. I thought that over the road would be an easy hire for me but I guess I'm just fooling myself, then again, maybe this a sign that theirs sometimes else out there.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  6. chazbro

chazbro Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    Which is why I'm trying to go with shneider. I did call them, sent in a new application and I was told I'll ne working with the same recruiter who hasn't answered my messages.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Western Dairy Transport and Roehl Transport pay while attending cdl school.
    ~
    Western Dairy Transport pays hourly.
    Roehl Transport pays a weekly salary of $618.00

8. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I’m retiring in 2.5 years. And, I’ve got it all worked out so I get just enough time to work my dream job in between fishing trips.

Kirby Vacuum Salesman

9. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Holy Crap! Do they even still MAKE those?

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  10. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Why am I not at all surprised by this?????

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  11. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I just wanted to say, that it MAY be the Universe wants you to do something else.

It may ALSO be the chaos caused by the "Holiday Season".

I can't get ahold of ANYONE at my carrier's corporate headquarters, because they're all out deer hunting.

I had to call my dispatcher a few weeks ago, his voice sounded funny and he was kinda dismissive. I asked my TM if he knew what was up, TM said, "Yeah, he was in his tree stand that day, don't take it personally."

At 2pm on a Tuesday.......

A lot of people seemed to never have come back to work since the COVID thing. Everyone seems short-staffed.

All ya can do is keep trying.

I drove for 9 years, did something else for 10 years, then got back on the road 3.5 years ago.

31 apps rejected, hired at #32.

I kept my CDL valid, though.

Still, everyone wanted me to get a "refresher course", but couldn't give me a specific number of hours they would accept.

I also had an at-fault accident on my mvr (in my personal vehicle) that scared some carriers' insurance companies off.

Good luck!

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.