An Ideal used Reefer trailer

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by johnnyman1099, Oct 17, 2017.

1. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I want to switch from flatbed to reefer and would like some suggestions on the ideal used reefer trailer.

Was looking at some 2007-2008 TK units. They seems affordable at $15k with 15k hours. Are the hours too high at 15k hours ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have over 1.5 million mile of accident free cdl driving..have haul mainly flatbed and dryvan.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Reefer doesn't pay well considering all the waiting time,heavy loads and lumper fees.
    If you want to run a reefer trailer and run both dry van and occasional reefer freight,I might see it being a good investment.
    Reefer freight sucks.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    In agree with Steel Dragon, don't do it. I pulled a reefer for a company job, and I was paid by the hour. I saw what these O/O's went through, and would never do that. Go tanker if you're burned out on flatbed, but stay away from reefer.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  5. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Anyone thinking about reefer, please stay away. If you already have a reefer, get rid of it and go dry van or flatbed.

6. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    If I did reefer:

- if heavy load, demand more $$
    - lumper fee? make sure paid by broker/shipper
    - waiting time? make sure detention pay on RC @ $100/hr

Else, Im good.

ELD will shake the weak ones out of the game

SoDel and KB3MMX Thank this.
  7. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    After doing much reading on this forum, i still havent gotten a clear answer on my original question about reefer specs. Are there any year model that i should avoid ?

2007 Thermal King reefer with 15k hours, is that too old and too many hours ?

Lastly, how do I verify the hours on the reefer unit ? Is it easy to reprogram the hours on the display ? There are some 10+ year old reefer units with only 8k hours and i find it hard to believe.

Thanks

KB3MMX and fishonron Thank this.
  8. Steel Dragon

Nov 23, 2015
    Reefer is an electrical part.
    Pretty much a refrigerator or air conditioner.
    Can fail at any time.
    Just like a truck.
    It's a crap shoot.

9. Steel Dragon

Nov 23, 2015
    15000 hours is about 650 days.
    Considering it runs mainly 6 months a year,thats approximately 4 years of service.
    I've had companies replace the whole unit to save a loaded trailer,and this trailer was less than 5 years old.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Yeah, sorry, 'bout that, Chief, reefer just has a bad taste in just about anybody's mouth that's done it. The only way I knew of people making any money in reefer, were the ones that hauled double loads in the box, and ran 'round the clock. I couldn't imagine doing it by the book these days. Kiss of death. Used to be, reefers weren't these complicated units, and anyone that could turn a wrench, could get a reefer going ( the biggest problem years ago, was that #### 5 foot V belt, and don't suck 'er dry) ) Today, these things cost a fortune to repair, and with waiting time, and load refusal's, there's just isn't a lot of money in it. I'm not saying some don't make money, it's just, these people have had these accounts for years, kind of like dump truck, and new guys will get all the crap the smarter ones refuse. Truth be known, there was a time when I wouldn't look at a flatbed, but today, it's about your best deal in trucking, mostly, because you call the shots, not t'other way 'round. Good luck.

ajax1337 and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  11. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Some trailers are very well designed and keep very cool some trailers are designed for chilled produce others for frozen with fridge motors thermo king seems to rule, with most frozen produce your often required to pre - chill your reefer down to about 5 f you'll need a very well insulated reefer to do that, with chilled its not so hard. Usually you'll run the temp at around 34 - 40 f. depending on whether its cheese, milk, meat or fruit.

SoDel, KB3MMX, nax and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.