An old man's career goes flat, Snackbar moves to open deck

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Jul 27, 2022.

1. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I had to pull seniority to get the no tarp load. I did what the other guys should have been allowed to do. Just cover the sensitive parts with plastic.

Team work makes the dream work. Any one driver doing these loads by themselves would suck. 3 guys on three loads seems to suck a little less. The help from the customer was just iceing on the cake. A5AFCB82-9956-43ED-912D-1F803B156475.jpeg 0332782D-CE1B-40AC-BED0-15154EC9210B.jpeg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Did you end up staying at the shipper like you planned? I made it to the Petro, scaled out and I am 34500 on the trailer. Tried to spread the axles and can't get enough traction on either one end or the other to spread. Now it's snowing like hell, and 4th of July has chain restrictions. AND my MT permit is a single trip permit only good thru Sunday.

Itsbrokeagain, JoeyJunk and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. Winnyf1

Winnyf1 Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Evansville, IN
    Welcome to OD freight, from the looks of things you’re doing just fine. Hopefully you won’t run into provisions that prevent you from running in the inclement weather.

Itsbrokeagain and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  5. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Like this?

PXL_20221210_160025959.jpg PXL_20221210_213434588.MP.jpg

Woke up in Spokane to 4 or so inches of snow. 4th of July had chain restrictions, but was clear before noon. The 2nd pic is a screenshot from my dashcam of the MT side of Lookout, which had no restrictions all day but was a mess. Even the ID side of it had some snow still on the roads....they need to post pictures like that at the border where they have the "Welcome to Montana" sign.

6. keebler13579

keebler13579 Heavy Load Member

Nov 16, 2012
    The more pics like this you post makes me happier to be on the texas regional board of.my fleet. I miss doing otr but not in those conditions

7. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Well, hell. Coming across SD yesterday I pulled into a rest area to close my OD signs and do a load check. I noticed the truck was running very slightly rough. As I was pulling out a check engine light came on with a “derating in 3 hours” warning.

I called the trucks bluff, the truck won. I made to to Sioux City, IA even with the truck derated. Waiting to get into the shop in the morning.

Could be worse, I didn’t end up on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I did it everyday. Don't miss it one bit , u can have it lol if it was snowy like that , I'd throw chains on even if they not required. Montana does a piss poor job of snow control(as u have noticed lol) and that pass gets worse as you go up. Last thing u want, is to spin out halfway up. There's always someone that does, and it shuts the road down for hours, because the nearest tow truck is 80 miles each direction. If u ever find urself on lookout pass during the nighttime - they very rarely ever put chain restrictions up even if it's snowing like a mofo at the bottom, because the person who controls the lighted sign is presumably still In bed sleeping. Just a bit of local knowledge Ill pass along. That hill requires more common sense then anything. Hwy 200 is always available to the north as well. Not sure if they could route u that way oversized or not

9. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Since this has to be there by the 16th when they leave until after Christmas, what will they do with the load if they can't get you out and and delivering by then? (And you can blame it on me, I touched your truck when I was grabbing your rachet binders for the back part of your load...my bad vehicle mojo must have been contagious).

You missed all the fun, coming across 90 today was a blast. Over half the way, the wind was blowing so hard, this truck could only do 64ish most of the way(getting 5.3 mpg). Then 20 or so miles before the 90/29 junction, it got slick. A couple places anything over 15 psi of boost would break traction thanks to this tail heavy, nose light load. If there would have been a place to pull off, I would have parked it. Once on 29, things mostly improved with the exception of a few slick spots. Made it to Burbank SD in the nick of time on the daylight curfew. However, my front tarp is toast...even with all the extra padding it got pushed down over some of those upright posts...and the padding has stayed on. Good thing that one little teenie weenie electrical box is all the way in the back staying dry....under plastic.

They finally got me my permits for some of the states east of IA. They have me run 74 out of IA to Indy, then 70 to 77 in OH.

The best part, these loads are light on the drives, heavy on the tail. Makes going tougher than woeing.

Yeah, but running there you miss out on scenery like this

PXL_20221203_170150732.jpg PXL_20221203_170133230~2.jpg

austinmike, JoeyJunk, dwells40 and 4 others Thank this.
  10. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Yeah the weights being all screwed up on these loads is not ideal this time of year. I filled up in Hardin, mt and in 760 miles I’ve burned around 160 gallons of fuel. The head wind and derate was kicking my butt across 90. I made it down here before it got slick luckily.

As for what to do with this load? Not real sure, we typically don’t have #### for trucks here in the upper Midwest. So a repower is not likely. I talked to the customer and they will unload on Saturday if necessary. It’s not total panic time yet.

fingers crossed I’ll be running by noon tomorrow.

11. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    And you aren't pulling a tarp on the ### end either. I filled up in Box Elder and burned 1/2 tank between there and x-26 on I-29...only ran 400 miles. Glad these Sweedish Dogs have big tanks.

I was hoping to unload Thursday, but it's 100% chance of rain and possible thunder. I wonder if they have a shelter to unload under so this "precious, weather sensitive saw mill machinery" that some of us had to tarp can unload and stay dry.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.