An old man's career goes flat, Snackbar moves to open deck

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Jul 27, 2022.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    I have a friend that starts his coffee pot in the morning and then finishes his pretrip before the coffee is brewed. Been doing it that way for 25 years. I ask him all the time coffee before safety?

Lonesome and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    I never understood the “frog soup” until I heard a radio commercial the other day. I had my ah-ha moment.

JoeyJunk and dwells40 Thank this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I borrowed it from the hospital scene in Dante's Peak.

5. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    I haven’t seen that.

6. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I am still on the fence about this weeks personell departure, and, on how the live forum leader addressed it..or more like didn't address it. He never even acknowledged any of the positive contributions they were part of, or showed any kind of emotion (he refused to address it for the most part, and only sent out a generic message over the Peoplenet) The people who are no longer with the company were long term employees. Went from drivers to the office, and progressed into management positions. I never really had much interaction with Chubby(the director of Ops), but his wife was the recruiting department manager and a was also involved with working with drivers who were having issues with miles or other personell conflicts. She and I spoke occasionally and I valued her opinion and advice a great deal. She and Chubby seemed to remember what it was like out here unlike some of the other people in that office that have been drivers, but make it seem as though they have forgotten the crap the average truck driver goes thru out here on a regular basis. The part that sticks in my craw...they dismissed these people without it seeming to bother them in the least. They have worked in that same office with them for a long time...been thru the ups and downs of trucking... On the message over the Peoplenet and what little was mentioned on the driver forum, nobody ever acknowledged that they did a great deal to help grow and maintain this company's business. Like @kylefitzy mentioned, they were a major part of the OD development...so these folks invested a lot of blood, sweat and tears in SPD...then they were dismissed...so, as loyal dedicated members of the company...they are just pissed on and discarded... What I am trying to say, if they can do that to someone like that, what keeps them from doing that to us lowly drivers. It makes me wonder why anyone would want to be loyal and dedicated employee and do their very best to take care of the customers if they're just gonna discard you at some point. It's not how things use to be here I'm sure, or else you wouldn't have people staying here for decades and still have a positive opinion of the company. This whole Wylie partnership has made this a totally different company...and the unspoken motto of Wylie, which seems to be 'profit over people' , or 'profit at any cost' is starting to appear here. I might start calling this company SPD 2.0, or Wylie jr...if anyone doubts things are changing, here is the proposed new door logo for the company.(keep in mind they just went thru 2 door sign changes due to a mixup on being legal about part of their name being abbreviated, then changed to LLC from INC)

Screenshot_20230203-193628.png

Notice, it doesn't have any name on it anywhere, just initials. Not sure if they're changing it to just SPD, and dropping the name Smokey Point entirely or just haven't figured out how they want the name and this is a work in process...

7. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Everyone is walking on eggshells in Washington trying to keep their jobs. I truly believe that’s why the firings were addressed the way they were.

the logo looks like #### and doesn’t meet the requirement of matching our MCs-150, I guess that can be changed easily.

notice how it’s on a gray back ground, I heard we are all getting gray mid roof t680’s. No more condos, no more volvos.

unfortunately this is only a job at this point. I truly put a lot of extra effort into the old spd. I don’t see that happening with spd light.

Disappointing, but that will happen from time to time when you work for someone else.

8. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    The thing is wylie I don’t think has any prior experience with aerospace companies like boeing…I’ve seen from experience when a general flatbed company buys a specialized company and ruin it…tmc had bought Yellowstone trucking out of coeur de alene yrs ago and Yellowstone number one customer was boeing and it wasn’t long before boeing told tmc to take a flying leap so to speak… time will tell if this happens with spd.. yes i know daseke owns both but im referencing wylie taking over operations

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  9. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    With all the discussion about lighter equipment, I was expecting midroof's to be on the horizon. The odd thing is, at Moore, our Pinnacles could pull 47k+ on steel trailers, but Wylie's midroof 579's and aluminum trailers couldn't pull much more than that, so I don't see the advantage...and aluminum trailers need to be replaced more often than steel because of metal fatigue because they flex so much more. It was a real pain to pull glass on their equipment.

I truely believe that this will be the last Daseke company I ever work for...after Don Daseke got retired, they turned that corporation into a gong show.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  10. Winnyf1

Winnyf1 Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Evansville, IN
    So not even a T880 for those of you who pull RGN’s? Do you feel they might abandon the specialized freight and transition to general?

We also went away from Volvo’s except for a few special drivers, we’re Paccar and Freightliner now all with the 455 hp motors and no 15 liter powerplants outside of our multi axle heavy haul trucks.

Thankfully working conditions are still good here, but the newer truck’s definitely take some getting used to. I hope things settle for you, but corporations tend to look at the trends and EBITA rules the world these days.

With your experience you’ll be fine but it sucks leaving a place you’ve enjoyed.

Lonesome and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  11. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Wait for it......Wait for it......

[​IMG]

YardMule89 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.