An old man's career goes flat, Snackbar moves to open deck

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Jul 27, 2022.

1. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    I don't know, I've never worked for one but many people seem to like them. It was just a suggestion for you based off what you said about workplace comradery and all that.

In any case, I hope you find what you're looking for Snackbar. I sincerely mean that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mstrchf117

mstrchf117 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2016
    You might want to look up some labor history. Unions are why you have any worker rights, weekends, why your kids/grandkids aren't working in a mine or factory with disfigurements. Look up the battle of Blair mountain. I don't think every industry needs to be unionized or that they're immune from corruption or bad people, the longshoremen were controlled by the mafia at one point, but they absolutely are a net good and serve a purpose. Sorry for your friends/families issues, but when a company decides to close down, there's not much a union can do at that point. Things are changing, at least outside the US, instead of calling for strikes they're starting do I guess "working protests" like some utilities group in Portugal or Spain is giving away free power, a nurses union in France I think had them mischarge or ignore procedures so patients got the treatment they needed but didn't have to pay anything. I can promise you cars aren't expensive because the workers are "overpaid". Idk why you want to simp for a company that doesn't care about you at all, but whatever.

I get not want to job hop, but if you have been burned by Wylie before, might be worth fleeing while the fleeing is good. What's the saying? Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me?

4. Ralph4159

Ralph4159 Heavy Load Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    "You use a company as a means to an end, just like your company uses you as means to an end. Nothing more. Nothing less. You don't do a bad job or an unsafe job, but you don't kill yourself to go above and beyond either."

I totally disagree with this. That kind of attitude completely eliminates the possibility of pinnacle excellence. Going above & beyond is precisely what helps both us & the company reach excellence. And from years of reading this forum, that is Snack's goal & work ethic - not merely doing the minimum.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I agree, unions haven't always been a bad thing, but, in the US at least, what they are today is a far cry from what they were originally.

And that last statement, I use a similar saying when it comes to Wylie, only the 4 letter "F" words are different...and they look like this on the forum, #### :rolleyes:

D.Tibbitt, dwells40 and Rugerfan Thank this.
  6. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Wheel Horse lawn tractors were manufactured locally from day 1. The plant was represented by the UAW. When TORO bought them years ago, they kept local production about a year, before closing the plant, and moving production to Minnesota.

I had a friend, who was one of the last ones laid off.When she got her final check from TORO, the UAW had taken dues out.That's what the union did at that point.

JohnBoy, dwells40 and Bumper Thank this.
  7. mstrchf117

May 21, 2016
    ok I'm sure health and dental and social security and taxes were too.

8. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I'm sure they were. But did the UAW really need those dues, from now former members? One last chance, to get their money?

dwells40 and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  9. mstrchf117

May 21, 2016
    I mean if she got a paycheck I'm assuming she was working and so covered by whatever benefits the union had. Also, idk for sure but a quick Google search shows uaw dues are like $15 a month. Btw the company decided to close down the plant, not the union. It's like being mad at the fire department for your house burning down when your neighbor set it on fire.

YardMule89, gentleroger and dwells40 Thank this.
  10. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Companies don't close down facilities because they want to. They close them because they have to. Many times a lot of the reason is the excessive cost of labor, and the cost of labor in union facilities is ALWAYS higher because the union insists on an ever increasing pay rate for employees that many times don't deserve what they're paid, and many would probably be terminated for their unproductive job performance if they didn't have the union willing to strike if the company replaced these clock milking lazy #####.

11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Without the union would she have gotten that last paycheck? How much severance did she get and how long did benifits last? How much notice did she have that she was going to lose her job?

One of my friends works in IT at Amazon and one of his coworkers got laid off in the middle of a business trip - lap top bricked and cell phone deactivated mid meeting.

Loosing your job through no fault of your own sucks no matter what, but having a little warning makes it easier.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.