An old man's career goes flat, Snackbar moves to open deck

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Jul 27, 2022.

1. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Please. How many times have you been broke down and in a hotel in the last 6-12 months? Every breakdown where I had to go to a dealer was for 1 thing. I have probably spent more time in hotel rooms in the last 6 months than I have at home because of little breakdowns...and now the dealer I was sent to said it might not be until Monday before they even get to look at it, so that's 3 days minimum for this small bump in the road. That is how it starts, 1 thing this week, then 3 or 4 weeks, another small something...then another and another and another. It has happened so much, I have 0 faith in any truck made in the last 10 years. Made In America is no longer a proud label, it's a warning to any consumer buying that product because manufacturing in America is all about screwing the consumer out of as much as possible...much like the movie Gung Ho back in the 80's...botch the production then let the dealer fix the defects.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    You're letting something that hasn't even happened and might not happen rule your thinking. You're working for a company that needs to have that truck on the road and even if it goes down they'll get it going as soon as they can. I know a little about SPD and from what I've seen they're a class outfit. Relax.

Lesson number one...Don't sweat the small stuff.

Lesson number two...It's almost all small stuff.

Lesson number three...See lesson number one.

4. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I have no doubt that SPD will treat me right, my issue isn't with them, I still think they're a good place to work. My issue is with another electronic truck having another breakdown. At Creaffer, who has modern equipment traded regularly, I was in 7 different trucks in 20 months because of breakdowns. All of which, except the last 2 breakdowns, started out as small stuff...but remember, the great flood in the bible started with a single drop of rain...one small drop. When you just transitioned over from one company to another, and there is a gap in pay, that was less than a month after a big breakdown at Shaffer that I made $0 for 9 days off...my savings account isn't a bottomless pit, so taking more time off, even if it's paid breakdown pay (or my minimum daily base pay rate here) isn't what I need to start putting money back in savings before the winter freight season. Right now, there is no such thing as little stuff.

5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Okay, I just thought I'd try to help. Good luck to you.

6. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    And, this is how warm it is in my bunk with the APU's A/C on high, and the temp set to the coldest...it isn't putting out cold air at all. PXL_20220812_172952272.MP.jpg

pumpkinishere Thanks this.
  7. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    You might not like this answer but next time, say nothing about the check engine light being on. A lot of times the issues resolve themselves. Maybe I’ve been lucky but I’ve never had an issue that I’ve had to end up on a hook.

Hopefully your luck improves.

8. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    That's kinda what I was doing for a whole day, with repeated shut down and restarts hoping that it would get enough good data. I learned that from International with the Maxxfarce engine. But enough time went by that if it were gonna clear itself, it would have. I even topped the DEF off in case I got a bad batch.

And now they decided that they won't put me in a hotel all weekend. Since the APU is quirky and randomly not deciding to put out any cold air, they're gonna have KW disable the idle shutdown, so I can go find a place to park over the weekend and be back here 1st thing Monday morning. The shop said it will likely be Monday before they even get it pulled in to diagnose the problem...then I get to go find a Carrier dealer to get that random APU issue fixed.

9. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Are these legal in the USA? There is an email address for the US on their site, but wasn't sure if they meet the D.O.T.'s regulations

pumpkinishere Thanks this.
  10. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    Oh heck no it's only been 2 weeks and the nasty word trouble appears out of nowhere. I hope that it doesn't last long for you SSB.

pumpkinishere and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  11. BM 58

BM 58 Heavy Load Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I too hope that the engine light is an easy fix. He’s been through enough already. Although most of that was going back to a turd of carrier that he worked for before. He needs to just chill out and let them fix it before he blows up again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.