And away we go…another Walmart Transportation thread

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by BreadMakesMePoop, Apr 17, 2024.

1. BreadMakesMePoop

BreadMakesMePoop Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I thought Walmart Transportation was the top of the proverbial food chain.
    As a current and fairly new driver for Wally…let me tell you a few things that may or may not interest potential drivers.
    Ask away, if you are interested.

Otherwise, I’d love to get the skinny on some decent local gigs in the Indy area.

viper822004 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    You say you "thought" they were at the top of the food chain, what changed your mind?

4. BreadMakesMePoop

Dec 4, 2019
    The reality that every company is the same. Just a different name on the side.
    Logistically, how they operate is fantastic. It makes the job one of the easier driving gigs out there, in my humble opinion. It really does just glide.
    The parts that give me a little bit of hesitation are mostly…I guess personal but with a tinge of anti capitalism or…sigh.
    They are one of the biggest companies in the entire world and sell drivers on the best of the best but have some of the absolute worst insurance packages I’ve ever seen. The slip seating situation is actually worse than I anticipated. To be fair, maybe all DC’s don’t operate the same, but there’s no reason a company this gigantic shouldn’t offer their “top tier” drivers the best of the best of everything.

Let me slow down and see if there’s any questions I can answer truthfully and honestly.
    It’s a good job but definitely not for everyone yadda yadda yadda

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Which DC do you work out of?

motocross25 Thanks this.
  6. BreadMakesMePoop

Dec 4, 2019
    The biggest in region 5

7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    To quote our good friend @Lonesome ....... Care to elaborate?

I don't know what region 5 is

Lonesome and motocross25 Thank this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I'm sorry to hear that, Walmart comes off as high and mighty, when, as you found out, it's basically, same shix, different shovel. If ins. is the only snafu, I think that is industry wide. The insurance premiums are clearly the biggest drain on any company, and I doubt you'll get any satisfaction in that regard. I'd look at the bigger picture, Walmart will be around until the big economical implosion, and I feel, one of the more secure jobs on the rock. In a crisis, and one isn't far off, just about every facet of trucking suffers, but people will ALWAYS go to Walmart. I have no official affiliation with Walmart, except they get $100/week from me, but please reconsider, and the great Joni Mitchell sang,,,"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got 'till it's gone",,,,

9. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    So how bad is the slip seating. I haven’t talked to any of their drivers in years but used to chat regularly with some that hauled out of Morton Salt in Manistee Michigan and Absopure in Detroit area. This was in the old cabover days and the transition time to freightshaker conventional for Wally World. They were safety N***s back then. I’ve heard some horror stories on the slip seating operations. The insurance began it’s downward spiral around that time. The pay was always above average but like UPS, the micromanaging was beyond the pale. So is that what’s bothering you now? I can imagine their bad habits only have worsened with the advent of all the new Big Brother type monitoring today.

10. Loudstacks

Loudstacks Light Load Member

Feb 29, 2020
    Florida
    Tesla EV semi's spotted in California at WMT Private fleet (EV range isn't there yet, so Im assuming there's DC's in around CA that are within range) wonder if they already built a charging station inside one of those WMT DC's (how long does it take to charge? what's the range?)...
    I've worked for a 3rd party company (dry/reefer) that has a few terminal inside WMT dc's for their dedicated cross dock fleet (heard WMT will be using their own private blue/white shirt drivers strictly for cross docking & there won't eventually be any 3rd party terminal inside WMT)? they're still have 3rd party carrier brings in the goods from outside WMT but no more Wmt2Wmt from outside carriers?

Ive spoken to multiple blue/white shirts over the years & they seem pretty content (outside that pay raise fiasco where WMT F'd up giving major raises at DC's that had a driver shortage & the DC a few miles down the road got squat! Many senior drivers requested a transfer to snatch up that raise (some were over .08+ cpm all miles!)... anyways, Ive seen may w2's & they're up there (obviously this are drivers who work beyond their normal schedule, work weekends, holidays)... they said as long as you comply to their rules (at the time no Bluetooth talking at all), pretrip (100 lug check+!), etc....

:So can you breakdown what you dislike
    ?
    • Heard when you bump a dock if within 30 min. there's no movement, you can send a msg to dispatch & they get on it & sometimes if delayed they'll have you drop the trailer & basically end up doing a DNHK (when it was a scheduled live) that's efficient!
    • all time + physical duties paid for
    • almost a month of PTO (including emergency sick days or whatever its called)
    Ive heard a negative if you happen to work in WY or CO, WA, PNW areas where if it snows put on them chains! No dangerous weather to drive sissy nonsense, you get it there or you're fired with Trump's finger pointing at you!

I know this I've called years ago & check periodically (FL+TN) & they ain't really hiring in desirable areas (Cheyenne, WY has a 10k bonus now if you want to sit when 80s shut down from extreme wind, they dont pay for incremental weather I don't believe so there's a negative)? , that tells me the current drivers there it seems like are going to retire there?

Please do share... is dispatch a buncha control freaks who get off on having their corporate boot on the greasy handed drivers neck & get off on it with WMT bought lubricant? Aside from slip seating, what can you share?

HighWayMan501 and austinmike Thank this.
  11. DonRobbie

DonRobbie Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Midwest
    Job Search Welcome | Performance Food Group

Not sure if that link will work. Performance Food Group is looking for a shuttle driver out of Plainfield, IN. It's doubles work, overnights running to Fairfield Ohio and back. Typically about 8-10 hours a night. The last I knew daily pay was $270 a day starting out plus $15 for the drop and hook ($285 in total). The base pay (270) goes up at 5 years to 285 and tops out at 300 after 10. Paid every 2 weeks. There's a 10k 'sign on' bonus but if I recall correctly it pays out in chunks over 18 months or some such. I paid $120 every 2 weeks for the high deductible health insurance for myself and my wife. $15 an hour for excess delay at the dock, breakdowns, etc). I left there 8 months ago so probably some numbers are out of date. The place is a mess, but I made plenty of money there and have some fond feelings for the company overall. PFG is a big company but that operation is very much like working for a small business for good and for ill.
    Anyway that's an Indianapolis local job that may not pop on your search. There also is a shuttle job for CoreMark (used to be Eby-Brown) running from Plainfield to Kentucky for $23 an hour posted on PFGs website but I don't have any inside info on that one.
    Best of Luck on your search.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.