Another tractor-trailer stuck under the same West Haven, CT railroad overpass

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Puppage, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    That would mean the city is deliberately trying
    To get trucks wedged under the overpass,knowing
    Full well that they couldn't make it all the way thru.
    There dum but they ain't that dum.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Sarcasm was in my post. ;)

Unless thats their point cause they want a new overpass.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I remember that bridge. And no I did not get stuck there either. What I did do was call the law to come close the highway while i made the U Turn to get back to the interstate.

tinytim, lovesthedrive and Puppage Thank this.
  5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Good grief,stupid driver.I was going to suggest making that area a no truck route but who reads signs in today's industry.

x1Heavy and Bud A. Thank this.
  6. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    They're all following their GPS maybe. GPS has made drivers extra stupid.

Big Don, x1Heavy, Jazz1 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    GPS does make people stupid.

There was a Celluar tower with land built onto a old road that connected with US 1 in delaware off a large bridge crossing. The old road was buried under the new Celluar tower, it's fuel tanks and supporting buildings plus land scaping, razor wire fencing etc. The old road had about half a mile of it built in a new connection 600 feet further east. The Rand McNally Streets software with GPS antenna never was updated with the new change in particular.

I was in very thick fog that you could not see the hood nor the last 2/3 of the trailer in the mirriors and was driving via the laptop screen following the little road diagrams as I sometimes did and made the turn actually. When I came out of the turn I was on grass inside a 20 acre cell tower surrounded by guide wires, anchors fuel tanks and so on and on and on. Lots of little tire popping devices in that ground too. I was visualizing 18 flat tires and a very angry boss stroking out in a short time if I screwed up getting that big pig off the property.

If I can be misled by a GPS software that has not updated and failed to keep my eyes outside the windshield rather than driving via laptop in that horrible fog I might have seen the old connection's new construction before even turning. But Im not so sure. It was that thick that night. As it sometimes does when you are near the sea. That is another thing I will have to remedy someday not too far into the future, get back to the atlantic for a week or so and soak into that sea. We don't have that here in Arkansas.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  8. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Problem is too many drivers can not read write or speak English these days. How do they even get their CDL?

77fib77 and Bud A. Thank this.
  9. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    I use to deliver to the VA med center off of Cambell Ave,exit 43 was the exit they should have taken, even then there is a low bridge under the highway .

10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I understand that english comprehension is required in the industry by law. If they don't have enough english knowledge to pass the necessary written tests and so on they should not be allowed to have a CDL.

11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Que`?

Hey, Heavy, WE all know this. But apparently a lot of the folks that issue Class A licenses don't.:confused:
    I don't know what kind of fraud happens when you have folks who can't even speak or understand spoken English, let alone read and understand it, but still are in possession of the commercial license. smh

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.