Anti-gel over kill?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TheDude1969, Dec 19, 2016.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    "Bio-diesel" in it's various amounts and from it's various sources seems to have changed the whole fuel game in most parts of the CONUS. Hard to know what you're dealing with, anymore.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Im in Roseau,Mn it's 20 below zero, I intentionally tried to Anti-gel over kill by putting 1/2 gallon of Howes in each tank and still my fuel filter gauge just hit max and light came on

4. White Line Fever

White Line Fever Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Yes, there's almost too much info....my uncle did this....my neighbor does that.....mechanic said this etc. For what it's worth I'll add a couple of scenarios.

Mid 1980's... Estevan Sask, made many many rescues around the Estevan area. American boys would fuel up in Fargo ND (for the most part), make it just into Saskatchewan and be stranded. We'd go out, drag them into our yard, put the truck in the shop, drain fuel, change filters and they'd be on their way with new Canadian fuel. Our trucks never seen a bottle of conditioner nor were ever stranded because of fuel issues.

Fast forward to early 1990's.....overseas.....Siberia....temps to -62C / -79F......Diesel resembled Whale Sperm, no fuel conditioner used on any of the trucks or rig equipment. No engines down because of fuel issues.

Moving on, early 2000's, all set to do a big frac when one of the pumps start acting up and doesn't want to run very well. Changed fuels filters, no difference so changed filters again with no improvement. Now there's no more filters available for this V-12 Cat engine. In my truck I had a 1 litre bottle of Melt Down. We dumped it in the tank, waited 10 minutes, started up the engine and it ran like a top.

So, based on my experience I think all I can say is the importance of clean fuel, taking time to ensure there is no snow in the nozzle when filling, covering tank opening when raining, keeping tanks full to avoid condensation especially when bringing trucks in from outside.

Oh, btw, the fuel we drained out of the southern trucks worked fine in ours during the summer

Lepton1 and Ruthless Thank this.
  5. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I have seen the same problem. Start up, red light, and I run anyway. No loss of power. As the day wears on, the needle begins to drop. Back to normal.
    I think the fuel is "thicker" when it's cold and when the heater circulates the fuel, and it begins to warm, it flows more freely.

Final Drive and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    It seems most of the issue has to do with the filters icing or clogging up. What if you put an insulated wrap around the filters and put in some hand warmers?

I say this because my brother couldn't get his truck started when temperatures hit -4°F last weekend in OKC. He wrapped steaming hot towels around the filters a couple of times and it fired right up without coughing or sputtering.

7. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Yep, I got the same result.
    Just parked for the night here at Wichita Ks outside temperature is 28 degrees and all is well ...

8. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    It is possible to over treat the fuel, It can actually make the problem worse. Biodiesel in IL and IA seems to be the worst for some reason, as far as gelling with or without additive. Keep your tanks as close to FULL as possible, 1/2 to 1/4 tanks in that weather already set you up for failure as far as moisture.

Anti gel is rough on the emission/DPF system on new trucks, I know from personal experience. I treated my fuel to be safe one night at -20F. While I didnt gel up, the computer said my truck burned over 20 Gallons of fuel on a 10 hour break. It did at least two parked regens on its own combined with idling at over 1300 RPms half the night on its own.

Yeah a lot of the new Volvos have heated filter bowls, heated lines, heated tanks, so if you stay full with #2 even biodiesel in that case you shouldnt have to worry. Keep in mind with new trucks they dont circulate fuel return nearly as much as older fuel systems, so if you shut your truck off for long periods you definitely need additive or at least some straight #1. Some trucks the fuel system stays heated when plugged in, some dont, you need to check how your truck is specd.

If you run MN, IA, or Wi much Kwik Trip yes Kwik Trip spelled with the K has really good winterized diesel, I have never heard of anyone having problems with it. It is blended with straight #1 and they take a lot of the waxes out of it that causes problems in cold weather to begin with. It will look almost clear coming out of the pump.

Most diesel sold today, even the other "winterized" stuff, just has additive in it to keep it from freezing in the ground tanks and pumps. Once you pump that slush into your tanks, it now becomes your problem.

TheDude1969 Thanks this.
  9. loose_leafs

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
  10. loose_leafs

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    A lot of old hands used to wrap baby diapers around fuel filters to keep them warm, also A gallon or two of gasoline in the tanks. If you have an old truck (pre 2003 or so) you can still do that, dont want to do that with a new one.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.