Anti-rollover devices

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 54Trucker, Aug 6, 2014.

1. 54Trucker

54Trucker Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Has anyone have any experience with anti-rollover devices? I'm looking for a new job and one carrier I spoke with said their trucks had them, are they good or bad. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pahrump

Pahrump Medium Load Member

Don't need it if you drive carefully,,sounds like something for newbie drivers,, technology will replace stupid drivers

snowblind and SHO-TYME Thank this.
  4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Depends on what they are and how they are programmed.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
  6. 54Trucker

54Trucker Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Just got off the phone with a buddy of mine, he said that all Volvo's now have factory installed anti rollover devices in them, what they do is override the drivers judgement when the computer (whoever programs it) sense that the truck will rollover.

While it may sound like a good idea on the surface it could malfunction leaving the driver in legal jeopardy. And to make matters worse many companies are now installing cameras inside the cab as well as outside as to prove who was at fault in an accident.

He also told me that by next year all new trucks will be equipped with federally mandated anti-rollover devices. I believe my days are going to be over as a driver as the laws are too complex and incomprehensible as well as dangerous to the liberties of the driver.

7. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    So if I jerk the wheel to the left to avoid a child running across the road, I guess the computer rather killed a human being then damage equipment which can be replaced

8. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    We had the bendix system at tmc. The old system just had abs and no distance brakeing. Mine never activated. If you drive correctly it never should. Its nice to know you have it if you do screw up, but you should never need it.

54Trucker Thanks this.
  9. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    The computer takes into account steering wheel position and desired direction. If you jerk the wheel tot he left, it wont keep you from turning the wheel, but it will brake certainn wheels to try and keep the truck in the desired direction (left) and the wheels on the ground. It only activates if your about to roll. Ive never ha mine activate. At the point where the trailer will roll into the child as you jurk the wheel is when it activates

54Trucker, daf105paccar and 98989 Thank this.
  10. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I had on guard on a cascadia, first it was nice and useful. Made me a bit lazy but one day it decide to slam on the brakes while I was turning right, it was raining and I almost slid into the vehicle going straight. Never had a bendix anti roll system, but if it takes control of the truck, I don't trust it 100%

Like pahrump said, we don't need this computer control safety system, as long as you are a safe driver. Truckers years ago did their job without it why can't we? I overhead a driver refusing to drive because his gps in his truck didn't work. Dispatching just handed him a map.

54Trucker Thanks this.
  11. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Trailer TEBS D and E has build in roll stability system. but EBS is standard in EU, but not in USA.

U have to drop/pick up different trailers and it is good if ABS is ok) LOL

TEBS RSS prevent roll over and jack-knifing. Price is over $1000 + installation. I have one trailer with TEBS and disk brakes.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
    54Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.