Anxiety about driving a big truck.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by wtrippe0909, Jun 24, 2018.

1. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Another thing I forgot to mention in my post is that depending on where you live there may be many other jobs that a workforce center can get you training to do that might be a better choice. HVAC, plumbing, electrical, etc. Ask the workforce employment agent you are working with and also talk with your local union shops as they may have apprenticeship programs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wtrippe0909

wtrippe0909 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2018
    I'm feeling a lot of positive energy here. I appreciate everyone that replied. I am embarrassed about my post but I do not regret it. I am glad I reached out to such a wonderful community of people. I looked into the gate guard job, but all of the ones I found listed were for couples only.

4. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Nothing to be embarrassed about. It's estimated 1 in 5 people in the US have some sort of mental condition. This is a demanding business. Hard enough when you are "normal".

x1Heavy, justa_driver and wtrippe0909 Thank this.
  5. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Its ok to be nervous about doing something, as long as you have the confidence in yourself that you can do it.

Rocks, x1Heavy and wtrippe0909 Thank this.
  6. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I'll second the suggestion to be a security guard. Wyoming in January is no place to be for someone with anxiety issues, unless you're one of those lucky people who can score a local job as a new hire.

Odin's Rabid Dog and wtrippe0909 Thank this.
  7. Umbrellaman

Umbrellaman Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Florida
    If you are taking meds for your anxiety and if it is a daily affair, I would dare suggest that CMV driving is probably not for you. What would happen if for whatever reason you didn't have your meds? An anxiety attack while driving any vehicle, let alone a CMV puts everyone in danger. But am not an M.D., so it's just an opinion.

Rocks and wtrippe0909 Thank this.
  8. OrangeJulius

OrangeJulius Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2016
    Ohio
    I suffer from a good amount of anxiety and depression myself. I just started my third week of school and my second week behind the wheel. I was scared senseless the first time on the road, but you know what? I survived. I survived the second time too. I was a bit more skilled and less nervous every time.

Like the others have said, the instructors have a brake to stop the truck and they WILL use it to stop you from doing anything dangerous. I absolutely feel like this is the hardest thing I've ever done. But I'm determined to finish, pass or fail. Hopefully pass, lol. Don't sell yourself short, you are capable of more than you think you are, good luck with whatever you decide.

Rocks, Maj. Jackhole, SHOJim and 3 others Thank this.
  9. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Don’t be embarrassed. Read half the stuff I have posted for years now. I’m not embarrassed! It’s the internet and not real life, so you can anonymously say stuff and see how it flies.

Maj. Jackhole and wtrippe0909 Thank this.
  10. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    It is different for everyone. Myself i was never nervous, as i grew up in the industry, and around semi trucks. Many of my Uncles, Father, and Grandfather all drove truck. It is okay to be a little intimidated, and nervous if one has never been in a vehicle this size. This is the reason for going to an accredited Truck driving school. To get the experience, and nervousness out of your system. No matter the school. Pay attention, ask questions, no matter how stupid they may seem, listen closely, follow the trainers instructions. I never went to a truck driving school, as i went to the school of hard knocks. Relax, take a deep breath, and you will be okay. It ain't as intimidating as you will come to realize.

wtrippe0909 and Chinatown Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The one time I was really having trouble with things was with my first gal. But that's not why I am writing. If I can get through that I can do anything.

Anxiety is normal when learning something new or in a situation where you having not been taught anything.

Now actual fear, that can be for some people seriously disabling and for some, to do nothing while freezing in place will get them killed or someone or several someones hurt really bad or killed. The best way to defeat fear is that accept you are feeling it, but continue to make a decision to do something, anything and physically FOLLOW THROUGH. If it happens to be the right path, everything else will fall into place and you can do your shaking and drinking later on when it's all over with.

I felt that for the first time near Bethlehem PA to the east where there was a major river at the bottom of a downgrade forming a T at a stop light no less. I had a container load of export Jif Peanutbutter and Concord Jelly in glass bottles in that 40 foot sea box for Europe. The #### thing was pretty heavy. The problem was I ran the wonderful rural roads a touch too hard not knowing anything about what was waiting for me at the bottom on the river. I come off the top and there I was 2 miles to the light straight down, Probably 10% grade. The brakes faded out on me halfway down. (Keep in mind this was a adjustable manual brake system, none of that automatic slackadjusting we had ever...) and no one taught me a #### thing about those stupid manual adjustments where you can use a 9/16 or a 1/2 inch.

I pulled the springs (The buttons) and then allowed the top gear to stay where it was with the clutch out grinding the clutch plates all the way to a stop. (That was interesting.. felt that in my teeth, even to this day) But I got it stopped.

But, two drivers saw my problem instantly, asked me if I knew anything about adjusting and I said hell no, can you teach me?

Right then and there did they ever teach me. Made me get under all of them and get it done just so.

It goes to show a risk when a company hires you but does not care that you are a flat newbie and sticks you into a tractor. You were literally expendable back then. Life was cheap.

The yelling and the associated clutch costs were not.

Maj. Jackhole and wtrippe0909 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.