Any companies out there willing to hire someone that can't climb into a trailer?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by OhioScott, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    How would you sweep out the trailer if you can't get in it?
    Or, like Short Fuse mentioned, secure a load?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    The shippers take care of cleanliness, loading, and securing the load. It’s in their contract. We’re dedicated, so a different situation than most.

4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yes my thoughts exactly why they don't make it compulsory to have an actual ladder to climb up into the trailer is beyond me. The other option I've used at times if the fork lift was outside is get him to put the tongs under a pellet jump on that and get him to lift you up sort of like an improvised elevator although that in itself creates a safety risk I suppose.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It's pretty easy to walk into and out of the trailer when it is backed into a door. If you can't climb into the trailer because of your weight, you should lose weight. Needing a job isn't the only requirement to get a CDL.

You should look at tanker driving. They have ladders built on the end or side of them. Some tanker trailers, like fuel haulers don't require drivers to get on top of the trailers at all.

6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
  7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @OhioScott --

Current fuel hauler here.

If your physical situation is what I think it is--fuel hauling is probably not really a good solution for you, either.

With fuel, there's lots of bending over and stooping. You'll need to be able to pick up 50-60 lbs routinely.

You will load & unload the trailer, by yourself.

Also: mistakes with fuel hauling are expensive--or dangerous--or both. :confused: o_O :(

If you aren't up to getting into a trailer--but can still climb a ladder, you might consider doing food-grade tanker duty.

You'll need to climb a ladder (already on the tank) with food-grade, to install and/or inspect the seals on the top hatch.

If you don't want to do pump-off duty with food-grade tanker, look at Indian River Transport--or maybe Guaranteed Transport.

Indian River Transport Company

Tanker Jobs | 60 Cents Per Mile | Guaranteed Transport Service

If you're afraid of falling off of the ladder--use bungee cords and/or tether yourself to the top of the ladder.

A tanker endorsement is/will be required--if you don't already have one.

--Lual

8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Tethering yourself to the ladder with bungee cords? Do you have some diagrams or examples of that?
    Other than approved devices with the harness and the tensioned cable I'm not familiar with anti fall equipment. I see the harness set ups at lumber mills and cement plants and I've watched them being used but I've never actually used one myself.
    Please explain how to tie yourself to a tank trailer or ladder using bungee cords and how much mobility and range of motion you'd have. Pictures would be good.

9. Pigdude

Pigdude Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2021
    We strongly discourage/disallow drivers entering a trailer at Tyson. 100% no touch. Could be a good fit for you?

10. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    Look for any job with a mega that says 100% no touch. Ask the recruiter if you'll be expected to climb in and out of the trailer at orientation. If they say yes, the "no touch" part is a lie and you should stay away from them.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tyson Foods Inc.
    $0.53 - $0.61 per mile
    Can earn up to $100G with accessorial pays included.
    Refrigerated trucking.
    Sometimes hires a few new cdl school grads.
    Apply and find out. Apply on the first day of cdl school. Application is on the website.
    • Training and/or Refresher training available
    Be part of the Tyson journey;
    apply for CDL-A Solo OTR Truck Driver Jobs today!
    Click ---> Tyson Foods

If you’ve recently graduated from an accredited CDL school, apply now to student and trainee truck driver jobs at Tyson Foods! Begin your career with six weeks of PAID one-on-one training with a certified instructor.
    CDL school tuition reimbursement available – ask recruiter for details!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.