Any companies still run manual transmissions?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by I like manuals, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    MC VanKampen trucks governed at 75 mph.

CorsairFanboy and I like manuals Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I'd prefer to get back into a manual myself. Nothing more painful than trying to back under a fully loaded tanker and not being able to use clutch-feathering to ease it under. With an auto, you're either going nowhere, or you give it slight throttle and "warp speed" engages in reverse.

Sad thing is, it's getting harder to find manuals at both the trucking companies and the dealerships. And I'm not even an old school driver.

mustang190 and I like manuals Thank this.
  4. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    I took a picture of my last manual truck, I look at it sometimes. My left leg knee doesn't miss it any.

5. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    You’re driving an older 10sp auto then. These new 12 and 18 speeds no longer have your issue.

6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    Helps to turn off hill assist when backing them

7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Exactly what my older guys say, they missed being able to let the clutch out and drive back without any throttle; having to mash the go pedal to move disturbs them. Our Penske fleet is all standard shifting stuff but the rentals we get during maintenance sessions are dumbomatics and all the guys are grateful to get their own ride back from the shop

I like manuals and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  8. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    No, this is a 2018 Pete with a 12 speed.

9. JustCallMeDriver

JustCallMeDriver Light Load Member

May 5, 2021
    The 12 speed Detroit automatic transmission I drive in a 2022 Cascadia has this issue. Bounces on the driveline, too.

I know about creep mode. But it sucks. Stop once to re-evaluate your setup and it aborts. And creep mode is often too fast anyway.

I admit that Volvo backing is just fine. My company is getting rid of Volvos though.

10. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    I own a 2021 Cascadia, no issues backing in to docks or under trailers.
    Light on the pedal will feather the clutch.
    However people prefer manuals and some can’t be convinced otherwise. I bought this truck for fuel mileage and I have yet to be let down by the automated.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  11. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    If they have no apu and won’t let you idle , PM Chinatown with you location driving history ,years of experience etc and get some assistance finding a company that isn’t trying to run their drivers off to another company.

also you could discuss it with your company and let them know that the lack of apu and not being able to idle is getting frustrating

perhaps talk to your dispatcher and if no improvement, talk to the company’s recruiters , let them know this is going to be an issue keeping drivers.

I like manuals Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.