Any double bunk sleepers in the tank world?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by insipidtoast, Jan 23, 2023.

1. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    So there's not enough storage space for teams, either?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    So then what happens? Do they call the yard driver to hook up to your trailer?

4. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Then you don’t load there.

5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    There isn't enough storage space in condo trucks for teams.

6. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    I'm confused. I thought condo trucks were those tall double bunk sleepers that you see mostly attached to van trailers. In my experience those are big enough.
    Too bad they don't work in the tanker world. I really would have liked to do tankers. Not worth it in my opinion to have to live in even a smaller space.

7. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    No. You’ll want a condo, with two beds or a dinette and upper bunk. Even with a partner/spouse, having a separate bunk is good, sometimes.

I don’t know what @gentleroger is referring to.

8. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    When I trained in a Century class truck, things got tight but there was more than enough space on the truck for me to have 3+ weeks of socks/underwear, 2 weeks of season appropriate outer clothes, 1 week of "off season clothes", spare bedding for both me and the trainee, basic tool kit, plus a full wrench and socket set, drill, glad hand air hose, box of spare lights/gaskets/hose clamps, 2 gallons of oil, one of coolant, and two jugs of washer fluid. By myself, I could easily run 30 days without a resupply. With the trainee I could do 14 days no problem.

Then I went into a Cascadia, and things had to get trimmed down some.

I'm in a P4 Cascaida now and I can barely run 14 days by myself. I no longer carry my wrench and socket set, the air hose, or the drill. I only have one gallon of coolant, one of oil, and no spare washer fluid.

It's not that noticeable but there's about a 4 inch difference between the dash and the back of the sleeper between the Century and the Cascaida. The Cascadia has the hvac bunk ducts running through the cabinets instead of the back wall. The lower bunk is about 2 inches closer to the floor so the gallon jugs barely fit in the side box. There is a lot of 'dead space' in the Cascadia (like about the cabinets) that cannot be used for storage.

I could not imagine running teams in modern trucks unless belongings became intermingled. And unless I'm married to you I don't want your underwear getting mixed up with mine.

9. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    I’ve never carried that much stuff. Tire chains were the biggest consumption of space, when I used to run west. I used to keep winter gear, too. Now, it’s just basic tools, two of all the essential fluids, inflator hose, a couple E-track straps, and that’s about it, under the bunk. I roll my clothing, for each day, which saves space. There’s a a laundry bag, extra coat, shoes, cleaning stuff, etc. I’ve just never been one to keep much extra stuff, onboard. I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I don’t need a condo; a mid-roof is plenty.

10. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    I fully admit, I over pack. Most of the times it's unnecessary, but when it is, it's good to have. I miss being able to replace a mudflap without calling it in. And this time of year it's nice having shorts on the truck if I get sent down to Laredo. My first year I went from Duluth, MN to Laredo. It was -15 in Duluth, 0 in KC, 10 just south of OKC, but by the time I got to Laredo at the end of the day it was 80 degrees. Plus, back in the day my friends were poor and lived in areas that were convenient to the truck, so I had 'going out clothes' as well.

Outside of DPF, the biggest issue with modern trucks isn't they're cheap and plastic - it's the wasted space. The upper shelf that can't hold a standard size roll of paper towels without oblonging the tube. The paperwork slots that are level so everything bounces out of them. Ductwork running through the cabinets and sideboxes, inverter taking up half of one side box, bunk hvac taking up a cabinet space, APU hvac taking up the under bunk space and then all that wasted space above the cabinets.

11. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Oh heck yeah, when my wife rode we always slept in separate beds. Each bed is waaaaaaay too small to share.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.