Any drivers interested in a YouTube page to breakdown repairs to help save money ?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Aajande220, Feb 21, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Engineers can assign a code to every blessed problem with a engine, reefer etc. You cannot understand any of it without another computer to tell you whats the code is about.

No engineer has thought to include a simple hand held reader that can be examined against the database of codes and know exactly what part to replace or fix to make that code go away. We have to go to another computer tied to the internet and do reasearch and maybe if you are lucky you will have the same problem easily fixed.

I recently threw a code which my reader says oxygen sensor such a such. Fine found the part. (150 dollars)what the code did not say was which sensor. Turned out there are two in the exahaust side so the computer on the engine will know what mixture to make while the engine is running. Different air temperatures and emissions require a certain mix. Otherwise the engine is locked into a open loop which is filthy rich and drowns it in carbon gunk. Requiring even more tune up related work, plugs, wires, etc. Both sensors ran about 500 installed. A third sensor in the coolant was also bad. That was another 200.

Fortunately that is pretty much all the sensors that exist on that old vehicle that the computer requires in order to mix fuel and air properly and produce a good emissions.

One of these days I'll junk that computer, emissions and fuel injection for a standard crate engine with a carburetor and a fast digital timing to fire the plugs. No computer anywhere. And she'll run. The emissions would be really bad, but frankly we are not a emissions inspection state so we can do it. Even if we did become one, the antique tags take care of the requirement to meet today's emisisons requirement.

Maybe someday gasoline and other liquid fueled engines will be banned. We will have our fresh air finally. At least for the horses and wagons to haul the freighting.

Codes. HA ten thousand little codes. But nothng for the driver or fleet owner to understand anything in plain english without another computer of some kind.

fss99701 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    You should view some Scotty Kilmer and Chris Fix videos. Both are very knowledgeable mechanics, and make excellent presentations.

Scotty Kilmer I like because he is boldly honest and doesn't hold back. If he believes something is crap he'll give a detailed answer as to why and provides examples. Scotty also has an excellent sense of humor which makes his videos quite consumable.

Chris Fix is straight forward with his how to videos. No nonsense and it's all about getting the job done right, with the right tools, and with quality replacement parts.

Hope this helps.

PE_T and fss99701 Thank this.
  4. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    Absolutely. Make it short and to the point. I hate watching a 15-minute video when it should only take 5.

PE_T Thanks this.
  5. Aajande220

Aajande220 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2019
    Replying to all giving me advice on how to run my channel, I'm not trying to be a hit YouTuber.. I'm solely trying to help the few drivers who would appreciate some guidance on unit repair, what to look for when buying used units, and a deep and in depth pre trip inspection. I appreciate the advice but not every video will be something you need or maybe you already know it but I'm just trying to help everyone. Thank you

Ribeye Thanks this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Throughout life we will encounter several good opportunities. You don’t want 5 years to pass, and say to yourself. Why didn’t I try it. There is nothing wrong about receiving compensation for your own work.

7. Aajande220

Aajande220 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2019
    I appreciate that. Honestly I receive compensation from fixing units daily. I've worked for carrier transicold and thermo king and always felt bad for the owner operators because we worked with SRT codes and things I could finish in an hour would charge the driver 6 or 7 hours because the book times.

Ribeye and PE_T Thank this.
  8. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    I say go for it. If it helps one hand get his problem fixed, it's a success and who knows what opportunities will come your way. Like PE_Trans said, you don't want to look back and say, shoulda, woulda, coulda. Maybe write a script prior and stick to it, short and to the point. Good luck.

PE_T Thanks this.
  9. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Doesn't look like these guys are too interested man.

10. Ribeye

Ribeye Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2012
    GO ahead and start your youtube channel. Lots of us guys own our own reefers. There are only a few good mechanics on youtube now that post repair/maintenance stuff on trucks and trailers. I always try to repair whatever I can can nowadays. I've also gone back to doing all maintenance on my truck and trailer myself, screw the dealers and truckstops with insane fees.

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  11. Tramel101

Tramel101 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2019
    Hey, I think that’s would be insurmountable to driver. It’ll also keep some cash in our pockets. There’s quit a few intellectually inclined drivers out here as myself. I just lack to mechanics. I’ll support in anyway possible.

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.