Any reason the trucking industry gives minimum time off

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Random user, Feb 13, 2019.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If one can get a CDL with a simple 4 week course it's a general labor job. Should it be? No. Doesn't change the fact it is though. A skilled trade is something that requires on the job training and schooling like plumbing.

I can name several that are 24/7 service industries that are industrial in nature. Heck, even IT would qualify now days as if the computers go down so does the plant.

No, the lack of labor laws is a holdover from when it was impossible to do proper scheduling because of lack of communication. This is a time when the phone system was only confined to large cities. Nowadays there is no excuse as it's possible for every truck driver to communicate with something close to 100% coverage in the lower 48. It's simply that the likes of ATA want to keep exploiting the employees and not allowing any sort of real labor laws to get introduced.

roshea and loudtom Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    as a company driver your working based on someone elses needs, not your own, if you take too much time off how does the owner pay for fuel in the private jet?

4. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    we are on a everything is disposable kick so the mega fleets just applied that to drivers . school them just enough to pass the cdl test then half ### train them and turn them lose , tie them up for a year and get government subsidizing money then try to talk them or pressure them into leasing a truck, then fire them after a wreck to keep your csa scores low because they are easy to replace from the driver mill . ..... this actually is the better half of the new normal ..... some actually do make it in to care er but probably less than half make it 2 years for varied reasons ..... now the next part is a little more scarey and thats the imported variety, mostly Russian and eastern Europeans but a mixture of middle eastern and others , weather you are in favor of immigration or not thats another argument the problem is they can not understand the English language , and have little or no training. .. ex. the yard dog that had to show the guy how to drop a trailer now this was a solo driver not a student. now tell me how good was his training, some are legal, some are here on a student visa or other types of visas and just stay , another example I was in line at a pilot in marengo ohio and the guy ahead of me was trying to cash a comcheck so he could buy fuel and the clerk was trying to ask him for his drivers license number but there was definatly a language problem , finaly he pulled out his licence and it was from the Ukraine just unbelievable then turn these guys lose in un governed volvos. .... well just a little bit po d today just got through sitting through a traffic jam from a truck turned over on a ramp ( 271 to 71 ) its marked at 45 very well marked and plenty of notice and easily taken at 55 .not sure what company its hard to tell looking at the bottom of a truck

5. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Find a company with various regional dedicated routes near your home.

Normally the routes are designed to get the driver home for a min 34 reset weekly.. Usually a little more.

Then plan hometime in advance in addition to the reset. I do a weekly reset followed by a full two or three days off the next week and it works out well for all parties.

Topping off a reset with actual planned hometime is an efficient way to maximize hometime.. When all of the stars align anyway.

6. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    My simple answer: "Because they can get away with it".

againstthewind Thanks this.
  7. againstthewind

Oct 26, 2012
    because being a company driver is a scam, actually trading your time for paper money is a scam, its not even paper anymore, its numbers transferred from one screen to another lmao. take care of yourself and all living things because your whole life is a lie.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    KillingTime Thanks this.
  8. againstthewind

Oct 26, 2012
    minimum time off is for sl@ves

9. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    I greatly appreciate Absurdist Philosophy, truly. But it's difficult to live your life with that mindset everyday. If I did, I'd have hanged myself by now. The individual has to determine their purpose.... Mine doesn't involve slaving for an OTR company. So I don't do that.

10. againstthewind

Oct 26, 2012
    who determines the purpose of the foreign slave labor putting together the iphone that i spew my madness from is really the question. lol

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.