Any tips for slowing on icy roads?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Florescent-android92, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Florescent-android92

Florescent-android92 Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2021
    Oh yeah I'm fully committed to learning everything the easiest way possible, since I plan on doing this until I retire, lol. You brought up something I was wondering...do you ever use that trailer spike brake? I was honestly thinking of pulling it a bit on the hill but really didn't want to make things worse you know?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Stop wondering......DO NOT DO THAT!

4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The brakes are set up to apply the trailer just slightly ahead of the truck. Don’t use the engine brake or trailer brake.
    When it’s that bad. It’s best to park the truck.
    When lost traction. Look for any gravel or any pavement that doesn’t have ice. The warning pavement on the side of the lane can be useful too.
    I know what it’s like to not have any traction on ice. Sliding at 2 mph. It’s not a good feeling not being able to stop.
    One early warning sign is SUV’s. They wipe out first. Very square wheel base. They also drive too fast.

LoboSolo, 91B20H8, okiedokie and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I used chains, cables and socks when I was OTR. Chains work the best, IMO, but my favorite are cables. They work about as well as chains, but are a lot lighter.
    Socks are my least favorite for the reasons you listed.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

There is almost no "modulation" on the trolley valve. It is almost only fully on or only fully off. Most of that is due to having a handle rather than a pedal. You arm is floating in air as you pull the handle so that doesn't lend itself to applying some of the brake. Also, you use it so seldom, except to pull it the full extent you have no muscle memory and will almost certainly apply full brakes and start a slide when you do try to use it. What you can do is grab the handle right nearest where it hinges. And then apply a little pressure. If you practice with it enough you might be able to get some benefit, but chances are you will just make the situation worse. In poor traction, you want your braking to be as gentle and coming from all tires as possible. The braking you must apply, if you give some of the tires a vacation, only means more braking on the other tires.

Sometimes on slippery surfaces, like inside the truck stop or at a customer property, while creeping along or approaching a stop sign, I will apply a little more brakes than I would to see if or how bad the traction is. If in doubt, go slower.

7. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    That’s the insta-jackknife switch in on icy roads

8. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I have those logger specials... they are frick'n awesome..
    Those socks are a joke... they made those for drivers that are to stupid & lazy to hang iron

9. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada

Interesting.

Mine modulates perfectly.

10. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    I've only seen 1 truck with tire socks on.
    He was spun out on a tiny Little hill.
    The rest of us we're not even chained up, that hill was minuscule.
    We went by him barefoot.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    Last Call and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    On our OLD trucks the valve would appear to be more of an add on device, as they were clamped to the steering column, a ways down toward the dash. Not as "fitted" or "built in" as they appear in the interior pics of newer trucks. Therefore, we could reach down, thumb pressing the hinge spot, fingers bringing the lever down, and control it probably more delicately than the foot pedal. Understand, this would be in controlled situations, not in the ? degree angle of looking directly at the bedding in your cattle trailer and as you shift vision your eyes register 30 MPH on the speedometer. You just flick it down bottom and back up as fast as you can and steer for dear life. We could ease along and feed a little air to get a "feel" for if the trailer brakes were functioning, responsive, and could actually determine a wheel not seeming to catch. I have not been inside or had a cab climb look at a late model tractor in years, may be different now.

Last Call, Oxbow and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.