Any tips for slowing on icy roads?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Florescent-android92, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I grew up about 30 miles from Marengo IL. When I was young some of the older bull haulers that use to load out of our lots use to tell horror stories about hauling kill mules for mink food

JolliRoger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    At Schneider, I learned a jingle that goes something like this:

"In the snow, go slow; on ice, no dice".

I think it is still applicable, today.

To give away a bit of my past: the coefficient of friction on ice is ZERO.

Think about it.

--Lual

dwells40 and N00bLaLoosh Thank this.
  4. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Seems every tractor I've ever driven, there is absolutely NO modulation in the trolley valve.

Pull that handle to "straighten out the trailer", and you'll do the most impressive "180" ever, except that your eyes will be closed for most of it.

I mean, "you" in a general sense, Pam, not "you, specifically." As you said, yours modulates just fine.

JolliRoger and N00bLaLoosh Thank this.
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yeah, that is what you need to do. Go down the hill like a turtle so you can let off the brakes and regain traction when you or the trailer starts to slide.

Don't count on stopping when going down an icy hill, just hope to maintain your current speed.

N00bLaLoosh Thanks this.
  6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    okiedokie, Last Call and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Mine looks like the pic that Ox posted. I don’t know what you guys mean by modulation, but if I need trailer brakes only, I pull the trolley brake half way down (blew a steer at 85+ and didn’t want the wheel to get chewed up).
    I will admit that the Ox style is much easier to use than the little dinky ones that you see mounted to the dash.

JolliRoger and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  8. seagreg

seagreg Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2019
    To add to this.

The modulation ability is actually not that important as the reason it is unsafe is because by the time you notice your trailer is sliding, unless you can accelerate out of the skid your trailer tires will be going faster than your tractor.

The only recovery is to let off the brakes until they regain grip and accelerate the tractor, sometimes you get lucky and the trailer isn't pushing hard enough sideways on the king pin to cause a jack knife but it is playing with fire.

It is like going down a hill too fast in good conditions...you may get away with it...until you don't.

As the road crown or worse an off camber turn will be the direction of least resistance it doesn't take much to end off the side of the road when you "guess" that it is time to let off the Johnson bar just a little too late.

But at least for me, remembering a skidding tire is going down the road faster than a tire with traction makes it absolutely clear why it is so dangerous. It is counterintuitive that you need to accelerate out of a trailer skid just as you have to accelerate out of a steer tire blowout. Unfortunately accelerating is often not a safe option in slick conditions so keeping your hands off the Johnson bar is the most prudent choice.

homeskillet and okiedokie Thank this.
  9. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    IF you brake off a slick grade at some point the vehicle can lose traction depending on particular conditions. Temp, grade %, weight,ect. IF you apply throttle application while using brake application this will increase the traction while descending a slick grade. I'm not a trucker but I saw it on You-tube.

Florescent-android92 and Slim51 Thank this.
  10. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I noticed on the newer trucks the trolly seems to be either all or nothing like on the cascadia's I was in. I can apply as little as 5psi on both old trucks. Depends on the situation but I use it quite frequently

11. WrightTrucker33

WrightTrucker33 Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Houston
    Drive on the rumble strips and use your poor mans jake brake(Fan).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.