Anyone know of a job where you sit and wait to get loaded abs unloaded a lot with detention pay?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by David Schwarz, Nov 18, 2023.

1. David Schwarz

David Schwarz Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    I know this sounds lazy, but I'm doing online schooling where you can work at your own pace any time you want, plus I need to exercise more. I've been a trucker for 20 years, and should qualify with most companies. My work history is rough, 6 companies in the last three years. It's OK if it isn't top pay, I just want to have more free time WHILE on the road. Short haul, live loading and unloading, no touch should do the trick. Preferably places that let drivers stay in their trucks when pickup/ delivery. I live in Fort Wayne, IN. Willing to go OTR, even long distance as long as I'll have time to do my other activities.

Bro_Dave Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    @Chinatown might know some. But your looking for a bit of a unicorn job. Best bet would be to find a local/semi local job and do a 4 on 4 off or 4 on 3 off work week.

David Schwarz and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    You might be a good fit in the food-grade tanker world -- running primarily dairy & dairy-related loads.

The wait times for some dairy loads & unloads can be stupid long.

You typically stay in your truck for those -- in part becuz it's not a hazmat situation.

-- L

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    David Schwarz Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Roehl Transport has that.
    7 days with 4 days home, followed by 7 days of driving with 3 days home.
    Drive 14 days and then you'll be home 7 days.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  8. OlegMel

OlegMel Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2023
    If you’re in Chicago than look into any company that does airport loads. Rnm trucking is one of them.

David Schwarz Thanks this.
  9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Look into food grade carriers. When I was pulling pneumatic if they weren’t ready for us to unload at our delivery time for whatever reason we got detention pay immediately, and depending on the situation we’d get layover pay. We had a run to a milk plant out in Roswell and I’d take it every chance I got. It was guaranteed layover pay because the person ordering the product was clueless so we’d show up and they wouldn’t have room. I sat 30 hours there once waiting for them to have room to unload in their salt tank.

Flat Earth Trucker and Rugerfan Thank this.
  10. Iamoverit

Iamoverit Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    Plenty of sitting around with reefers.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.