Anyone seen a fridge and microwave shelving unit that replaces the passenger seat?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Kenworth passenger seats rotate in the T680s with the decent desk.

PE_T and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Two thoughts

This arrangement is common in expediting, especially vans.

Don’t block your view, this is something you may get tagged with if you are pulled over or worst if you get into an accident where the right side blindspot is involved.

PE_T and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I see this in trucks all the time. I usually see them strapped down but it would be pretty easy to fab up an angle steel frame around it and bolt it to the floor using the seat bolts.

Cheap Harbor Freight wire feed welder $100. I'd definitely recommend better if you can but it will do the job.

1.5" angle mild steel from a local yard, maybe 2 10' sticks $20.

A little hardware to make it come together.

Bam.

Farmerbob1 and PE_T Thank this.
  5. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I removed my passenger seat years ago. Use the space for a variety of uses. I have had 2 DOT officers take exception to what was in it's place. As long as you can still freely exit the door in an emergency, and that is open to wide interpretation, you will be Ok, according to them.
    Just design accordingly. I see guys go by with all kinds of stuff strapped to the seat, stacked on the floor, totally blocking the use of it. I simply do not know how often this becomes an issue.

Rocks and PE_T Thank this.
  6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Definitely. I want to be able to get in and out of the truck if something happens and the driver's side door is blocked.

7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Meh, I was never better than a poor stick welder myself. Didn't do enough of it to really do it well. Wire feed welders would probably irritate me even more :p

I'd also need somewhere to do the work, and I have no shop or even a garage.

If I get one built, it will be by a shop, or hobbyist welder. I might float the idea past a community college welding class instructor for a class project.

86scotty and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.