Are Spider Bungie Cords for Tire Chains Useless?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PE_T, Dec 17, 2018.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I read somewhere in this website that bungie cords are not really necessary if you know how to properly put on tire chains. I am starting to think that may be the case. What really is the purpose of spider bungie cords? If it is stability, can they really do their job? Wouldn’t the bungie cords slide off along with the chains? Any thoughts?

On a second thought, I am thinking it can help keep the chains together if a link breaks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    I used to use them in North Dakota when I hauled oil. They worked great for me.

Lepton1 and PE_T Thank this.
  4. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    There are cheaper methods. But if you don’t mind spending the money. Go for it. Anything that makes the job easier.

I saw a ramp for the tires the other day. Cost $149. Got me to thinking my 4x4 might not be as good as I thought ;)

Lepton1, HoneyBadger67 and PE_T Thank this.
  5. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    Spider bungees are great! Worth every penny

Bungie's arent neccessary though, I rarely use them unless those chains will be on for hours and hours..... just dont out drive the quality of your chain job and you'll be fine.

Dave_in_AZ and PE_T Thank this.
  6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    If you put the chains on tight (and that can only be done by re-tightening them at least once), bungies are not necessary, except if the chains are a little long, and the loose end flings around and hits stuff. So the bungie goes on that to keep it from hitting.

Bungies can help if chains can't be tightened properly (think heavy mud, uneven ground, no safe place to roll forward an re-tighten, etc) as long as you don't drive too fast. The centrifugal force of the chains at higher speeds can still overcome the strength of the bungies, plus they will stretch over time.

Spider bungies are great, but again, speed is the enemy. Even with bungies, chains should be tightened at the first opportunity, and preferably at least once more.

Dave_in_AZ, Dan.S and PE_T Thank this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I would try and park as close to the beginning of the chain up area as I could. Then after installing my chains I’d drive as close to the end of the chain up area as I could. I would get out and re-tighten my chains and put the spider bungees on. I used them simply to keep what little bit of slack I had out of the chains.

8. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Sometimes I have to chain up to 5 times a day depending on road conditions here in Alaska. Spiders are great but dont last as long as good single rubber bungies. Not always needed on short little trips to cross over a pass or something BUT if you ever have them slip and wrap between the tires youll wish you used bungies for the extra 30 seconds it takes to put them on.

Dave_in_AZ, Dan.S, stwik and 5 others Thank this.
  9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
  10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

How well do those tire cables work? Do they sell them for dual singles?

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If you’re running in the mountains in heavy snow don’t waste your time with them.

Lepton1 and PE_T Thank this.
  12. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I don’t care for spider bungees. They tend to break, and a couple regular bungees do the same thing. Like @Long FLD I always tighten up my chains after going a short distance when possible, but the rubbers are an extra level of security. When I drove a blasting truck at the mine we would spend 4 months a year chained up.

PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.