Are there any good OTR companies out there? "Really"

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by billsgirl, Dec 18, 2008.

1. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    There's a few good truck stops on that stretch too, If I remember right

Busasamurai Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. greenpea

greenpea Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2013
    I would try Conway truck load. 1. they have their LTL side , I used to pick up from them. U can bank your day off. 2. They paid you when they dispatch you, not when you turn BOL in. I use to average out 26oo to 2700 a month, thru out the year. Now that was three years ago. you may have to check see if they still do the same. If I was to go OTR, I may come back to them. I drive more local now as tank driver.

4. superk

superk Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Finding the company that works for you is the key. I love my job. Gross about 50k, drive 2500-3000 miles a week, rarely drive at night, have good equipment and get along with everyone. That being said I could make more if I tried. This isn't what I call big money, but more than adequate for my position in life. Lots of management jobs don't pay that and I worked more with more stress. Basically, retired from management, divorced, kids out of college and house. I have no bills and getting paid to see the country.

5. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    well, that's a good point. Most OTRs pay practical or "PC Miler" miles rather than hub/odometer miles, largely for ease of accounting I would assume, but the fact that it skims a good 2-5% off the top from the driver once he accounts for truck routes and countless other circumstances...I'm sure they don't mind that either. :)

people talk cpm primarily as a way of keeping score amongst different companies so drivers can do their quick back of the envelope calculations and fantasize about how much money they're (probably not) going to make.

6. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Oh hell, I'd run the interstate too if the difference was only 20 miles. Generally safer and faster. Beats your truck up a lot less too. Nothing like a dozen standing starts on a hill in 2nd gear with 45,000 lbs to slowly wreck a truck and put you in a bad mood.

7. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I'll have to try that.

8. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    oh I could legally run 3500 miles in a 70, no problem. That's assuming a lot though...100% drop and hook/no getting hung out to dry waiting around for live load/unload, no junker or overloaded trailers to deal with, and of course the right runs. Out in the real world A week like that will rarely ever happen for most guys though, If ever.

9. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    happens for me almost every week, though I am usually running into my recap and rarely get a 34 hour restart.

10. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Start logging load/unload times off duty and you can still do it. I have never logged a loading or unloading on duty, nobody is going to care. Nothing should count against your 70 but PTI's and driving. 3500 is easy to do if you have the freight, your 70 should be the last thing standing in your way.

11. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    In reading comments on here and in life I think many drivers for whatever reason think they have to take a 34 after their 70 is up. Either it's ignorance, lack of trip planning ability or fear I don't know. But in 8 years I can count on one hand the number of times I've taken a forced reset, meaning I literally wasn't picking up any hours for a couple of days. Recap hours are just as good as any.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.