At what point does a truck driver start to earn respect as a safe driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lennythedriver, Feb 15, 2020.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you're talking to the wrong people??

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I’m serious, the only drivers I’ve ever heard even mention how much (or little) experience they have were rookies who were still a little unsure of themselves or braggarts who probably weren’t all that good at it. As the saying goes, if you have to tell me how good you are, you probably aren’t.

4. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Yes this

5. seagreg

seagreg Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2019
    People of all skill levels are really really poor at estimating their relative performance.

88+ percent of U.S. drivers think they are better than average. Even when using their phone while driving 44% of drivers thought they were average and 36% said they were above average drivers.

60% of drivers still use their phones while driving despite 91% of them knowing it is dangerous but only for other people who they think are not as good at driving as they are.

Aggressive driving, distracted driving, and speeding are often the underlying reason for crashes. While the majority of trucking involved accidents that are caused by driver error are due to the passenger vehicle driver; overconfidence does lead to reduced vigilance with defensive driving.

In my experience the drivers I consider as really safe drivers are the ones who refuse to let themselves become complacent and who always try to remain vigilant and try to learn and improve.

When I hear a driver claim that they are a "safe driver" I tend to not believe them but when they say that they "try" or "strive" to be a safe driver I tend to believe them.

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    @Lennythedriver You are at a point right now that bad things happen. It's good that you have confidence in your abilities as a driver. But that same confidence can cause a complacency that can lead to a serious screw up. Just be careful.

Dan.S, InTooDeep, buddyd157 and 7 others Thank this.
  7. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Safe driving isn't respected as much as it is expected. If you aren't safe, you don't exist. If you are safe, are allowed to be here...that's as goodas it gets.

Now when you apply fora job, safe gates return phone calls....you number 1, we love you long time....if you are unsafe, nada. That's as good as it gets my friend.

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I think this is almost impossible to answer. Just too many things that are different. Who is the safest driver? A driver that does point to point driving. No deliveries or pickups drives for 25 years and only have one accident. Or a driver that is in and out of urban areas all day 5 or 6 days a week making 30 or 40 stops a day and has maybe 10 accidents over that same 25 year period. It's just not easy to answer.

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Let us go humbly about our business.

TripleSix, RoadRooster, Dan.S and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Respect, everyone wants respect. Give Respect, where it’s Deserved. But don’t expect any, you’ll always be disappointed, if You do.

RoadRooster Thanks this.
  11. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Let your tools do the talking, and keep your mouth shut....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.