At what point does a truck driver start to earn respect as a safe driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lennythedriver, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Was chatting with an old truck driver out here this evening he said he’s retiring at the end of this year and I asked him that question. His response was this: in truck driving, it’s very much a “what have you done for me lately“ situation. You can drive for ten years and have no incidents and then have a bad one, and that’s what they’ll think of. What you just did.” You apply for a new driving job, you’ve been out here thirty years and the past year you had say, two incidents, that’s all they’re gonna see. They aren’t going to care about the thirty years before that.”

I thought that was a good way to put it. “What have you done for me lately.”

88228822, stwik, Rideandrepair and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Mileage is poor choice to determine if a driver is safe.. their are guys with a million miles who I wouldn’t hire to drive a wheelbarrow because of bad habits( tailgating excessive speeding lane control etc etc) A reward or plaque means nothing to me I know if I’m driving safely or not I prefer not to rely on luck..

loudtom, stwik, spyder7723 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    While there is some truth to that opinion. It is also a bit cynical though. I know way too many fleet owners and managers that tell me a much different story. You must get out of that mega mindset to see this. Yes, with the mega carriers a driver is a number and a commodity to exploit. This just is not the case across all of the trucking world. This is also why it is so hard (not impossible) for a newbie to get hired into these situations. A mega might have a core of maybe 10% of their drivers that have 2 or more years of service with them. The rest don't make it that long. The turnover rates are horrid. In those respects, it does come down to what did you do for me today! You take a small fleet owner and a driver that has been with them for 10 to 20 years, that driver is almost part of a close-knit family. I see this a lot, but to see it you MUST get away from the megas.

88228822 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    Wisdom!

Rideandrepair and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  6. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    Your performance speaks for itself. Don’t listen to the BS in the cafe. Those drivers will always be the best, king of the road, most experienced, make the most money, etc whether they actually are or not.

Always chose to do a great job, chose professional conduct, chose safety. Your management is taking notes. They’re always dealing with drivers that don’t make good choices.

seagreg and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Just do what you need to do, don't run into things, don't get caught doing dumb things, and keep it to yourself.. no one really cares anyway. When they will keep and even seek out the absolute worst individuals to fill the seats... it's meaningless.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Never.
    You can gave several million miles and one incident, your fault or not, unless you have proof(video evidence) your company, and you could be sued, and insurance companies, who rule the world, will tell the company they think you’re a risk and either to let you go, or find a new insurance company.

9. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I've been doing this over 16 years. No tickets, no accidents, no fender benders, nothing.

I give myself moment-by-moment respect. If I do something dumb, I didn't earn my respect. If the night went smoothly, I give myself a nod and get home to the wife and dogs.

As far as safety awards...I have 16 years worth of those on my desk in my office. They let me know I've put together a pretty good stretch of safe days, but I'm only as good as my last day of driving.

10. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Never. Drivers don't get respect anymore. Haven't you heard? Truck drivers are a dime a dozen.

88228822, Rideandrepair and Hazmat Cat Thank this.
  11. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    A-pick up Load
    B-Deliver load
    C-Get paid
    D-get home
    Why all the drama??

Dan.S and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.