Automatic Truck loses transmission air

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Schöne, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Schöne

Schöne Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2019
    I'm not a new driver but I'm new to driving automatic trucks. I've driven both KWs and Peterbilts and they both lose transmission air when backing up and you have to wait for air to build up if you shift too many times. This is especially frustrating when backing in tight spaces where you have to reposition several times. Is there a trick to it? I've heard of not using the brakes too much etc....but it doesn't seem to help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Might be easier backing in R1,if it's going into R2 when reversing.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Freightliners have Hill Start Assist. When backing if you push brake pedal it will come on and hold truck then dump the air when you move. You could try turning it off if you have that button on dash. Just make sure you don’t roll. Flat parking lots you don’t need it and it seems to use more air

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Welcome to the new way, which everybody knows is so much better than the old “manual” way.

Hatt91, Bean Jr., Bud A. and 5 others Thank this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I have used both Freightliners and Internationals with auto and neither had that problem.

7. Blagoje

Blagoje Medium Load Member

Jul 14, 2022
    Sheboygan, Wisconsin
    I have a late model Kenworth with the 12-speed automatic transmission and this is an inherent problem from what I've been told. This transmission uses a lot of air to shift gears and that is just the way it is. Mine regularly runs out of air when I am backing up and sometimes when driving forward.

8. TurkeyCreekJackJohnson

TurkeyCreekJackJohnson Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2024
    South Western US
    I drove an '18 Volvo 670 that was the same way. Compared to other automated manuals I've driven, it seemed to hold the brakes much longer than necessary. Lots of rough movements until I learned the trick you referred to.

77fib77 and Brandt Thank this.
  9. aramil248

aramil248 Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Maine
    International having a separate air tank for it I heard. With no gauge to see it's level. I swear the last one I drove. Run out just pulling up after fueling

10. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    I got put in a truck with a manual after two years of automatics. It's so nice to just use the clutch to bump docks.

11. Schöne

Schöne Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2019
    Same trick applies to KW?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.