Avalanche hits I70 in Colorado

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by lovesthedrive, Mar 5, 2019.

1. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Not a accident per se. Yet what a mess!

MACK E-6, Lepton1, Bud A. and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    more storms coming and they will be closing the roads to try to control these slides, be ready to sit for long times.

Bud A. and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Yeah, this was all over the news, happened near Copper Mtn. which isn't far from Vail, Breckenridge. Been snowing almost everyday up there, and some mountain passes have 100 ft. of snow. Apparently, Colorado was in an extreme drought situation, and they haven't had a winter like this in years. This was probably triggered by some trucker with straight pipes and engine brake on, but they do have crews that set off charges to induce slides. It's the one thing I don't like about Colorado, the thought of being buried in an avalanche. We don't have many E-W interstates, fact is, 70 is the only one, and chain warnings fly all the time, so if you're coming this way, make sure you can hang iron. Many cut across on Hy. 50 to get around Denver, 2 lane, and no day at the beach there either, as Monarch Pass, about halfway across, also gets snow everyday, and chain warnings there too. Sure glad I never trucked across this state.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  5. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I would be more concerned about Fed Wrecks driving down the mountain at full steam in the dark. The worst part about that stretch is there really is no parking anywhere. There are a couple tiny rest areas and an emergency parking area near Eagle.

6. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Look on CDOTs web site, it has parking areas in place for major closures, Some use the ramps and access roads but if you want anything like restrooms or food stores you are kind of out of luck. And being in the valleys and mountains cell coverage is spotty.

7. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Just get a suite at the four seasons in vail. They have tractor trailer parking. I go snowboarding and then get a massage and a mani-pedi.

The room service is to die for.

:)

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    VAIL??? Good heavens, what kind of truck driver is sportin' that kind of cash? Besides, those semi parking spots are for FOX, NBC , and NASCAR trucks maybe, passin' thru, unless,,,perhaps you drive for one of those companies.

mjd4277, Bud A. and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  9. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Havent you heard? He is making big money trashing I mean teaching students
    (teasing ya @otterinthewater )

mjd4277, Bud A., 201 and 1 other person Thank this.
  10. otterinthewater

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Dude. I’m shivering in a company truck eating leftovers and dreaming of shower currently.

Lepton1, mjd4277, Bud A. and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. otterinthewater

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    More like torturing. The shear quantity of drivers I have to explain how to take their 30 in the fuel island and the amount of yelling I do at them to make sure they ignore their mirrors is ridiculous. I also play a game with them called G.O.A.L. Get Out and Lose. Everytime they get out and look when they get back in I punch them in the arm. Supertruckers don’t GOAL.

And the money. Ugh. What should I do with all of it. I tell you what. I order avocado with all my meals.
    #ballin

:)

Woodys, LoSt_AgAiN, mjd4277 and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.