Average Detention Times for Reefers in PA/Northeast

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by TylerHarris96, Aug 27, 2018.

1. TylerHarris96

TylerHarris96 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2018
    What is the typical length of detention for reefers in the northeast region??? Thanks!!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    PA NE does not really stand out. Just make sure it is not a Sysco or Americold etc. I will poke sticks on Americold to the day I die. I cannot stand to consider how much time and money we have lost with that cursed outfit.

4. TylerHarris96

TylerHarris96 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2018
    Is Americold really that bad????? I was hoping to run a lot of loads out of their PA location near Lancaster. From my previous experiences in the freight brokerage industry, the appointment times seemed to work pretty well with Americold.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    To me personally it was. Arlington Texas and Salinas CA. It's seriously bad when a load is being pre-cooled and not yet ready for me and my trailer. (Or me and wife and our trailer...)

That's why I have a problem with Americold. Just to be dispatched there is to lose god only knows how much potential income in those days long ago.

York PA has a cold storage not far from CAT south of US 30 in town and they are pretty slow.

I have no experience with cold storage in Lancaster. Lancaster is either shipping pretzels or receiving large metal ingots to be turned into coil that was also shipped from a large mill in west Lancaster. East Strasburg near Lancaster is actually a transload yard with rail car to truck loading supported by of all things a Steam railroad that has been supporting local businesses with that work for little over a hundred years.

The shipping to Lancaster came from Eastalco near Frederick Md, until the electric bill became too expensive to make a profit and a proposed building and using a dedicated power generation at Indian Point Maryland (Naval Weapons I believe) fell through. Forcing the entire mill to close.

Im sorry I cannot provide too much specific information for that State of PA in the NE related to cold storages. You would think I know alot from that area having run it with a reefer. But most of my loads came out of Baltimore with Butter from SW into Sysco Albany and then came back to maryland from Seneca Lakes where there is a Akzo Salt for a back haul across PA. Other work in PA is mainly flatbed loads say from Atlas roofing near Camp Hill and a number of other locations such as Alpo in Allentown NW area.

There should still be a Nestle in Allentown off I-78 and maybe still be a old Strohs Brewery in the same area. I have not seen them in over 20 years so I cannot tell you now what the situation is as far as shippers etc. up in there.

SoDel and TylerHarris96 Thank this.
  6. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Since americold starting paying detention I’ve found them to be under 2 hrs almost every time unless going to the kill plant in South Dakota

Farmerbob1 and TylerHarris96 Thank this.
  7. ebill45

ebill45 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2011
    dalton ga
    After 2 hours 50 an hour 3 hour max or 150. Unless you there an extended time. Take in mind that’s in ideal world. Meaning you have it in writing before you go pick up the load

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. rasymacmac21

rasymacmac21 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2009
    East of the Mississippi.
    I think it's better off adding it to the rate if you're doing spot market because it's going to be a pain the ### collecting it. Charge premium for any pick up or delivery to a cold storage, food service distributor or grocery warehouse in the northeast.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. BILT17#

BILT17# Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks so much...this is very helpful. Also, what would you charge per mile for reefer transportation in the southeast & Midwest?

10. jon69

jon69 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Long. 4-7 hours.

11. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    I don't think anyone can give a good answer.
    It depends on;
    The place
    Time of day
    Time of the week
    Mood of the loader, unloader
    Moon phase....
    Too many to list

Farmerbob1 and peterd Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.