Bad company won’t let me quit. Advice?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by StoneDef, Aug 22, 2020.

1. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    You are braver than me then terms risking getting stuck. I have learned small companies even my act friendly but do something one time they dislike they will treat you like crap. I have learned just don't give them a temptation to screw you over more. I mean you leaving for a reason right so don't give them option leave you stranded somewhere nowhere near for someone pick you up or get home.

I like the toilet paper suggestion see this why I enjoy this site gives me so much info including how be creative. Like right an I quit on toilet paper me being me would make it brown not worry it be from chocolate candy but they won't know it until they licked it I'll even say by all means lick the bottom for added flavor to my resignation

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    The key here is most people don't quit these small carriers. They stay until they retire or the business shuts down or bought out. There is a huge difference between a small "outlaw" carrier that changes their names every six months and a small carrier that has been around 20 + years. I know of several 25 or fewer truck fleets and not a single one has a job opening. I am surprised you quit that small carrier.

plankton, NightWind and tarmadilo Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You stepped on a common mega carrier landmine.

Never tell a mega you're quitting. The reasons are obvious now.

You should be able to turn the truck in at any WE terminal.

Just don't accept another load.

Use you're money, put some fuel in it when you're close to one of their terminals, and say, " Addios muchachos."

5. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    You know of 25 + good small companies. There are tens of thousands of small carriers around the country and your suprised I quit? You think there all cream of the crop but I need to Inform you that is not the case.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I had a horrible experience at a small mom & pop company.
    I was the only one that wasn't part of the family. All the other employees, office, mechanics, drivers, were family members. Wasn't long before I was the "whipping boy" of the company. Never made that mistake again. After that, only went with medium to large companies.

7. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    I hear ya, I went to this 12 truck company and lasted 9 months. The biggest problem was their equipment was old and always breaking down. They liked me and after one week gave me a raise but that wasn't enough. I needed decent equipment. After that I went back to the mega and got a new truck, lol !! ;)

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    The size of the carrier does not determine how good they are. Yes, there are a lot of smaller carriers around that I had rather drive for a dang no count mega than yank their trailers across town. My point (stated badly) was the good small carriers don't generally have openings because their drivers don't normally quit, they retire or die!

Sirscrapntruckalot and rachi Thank this.
  9. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    The only trucking job I quit, I waited until I was on hometime, cleaned out the truck then let them know. That was more to do with me not wanting to travel with a bunch of stuff than me thinking they might screw with me.

I offered to run a load to return the truck to HQ and they were fine with that.

10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    The last job I quit was a while ago now. I am not speaking about the carrier I was driving for when I retired. I am not married and generally was happy with what I was doing (UNTIL) they made a change in operations that started affecting my miles. I had a decent relationship with my FM and was calm the day I told him this was my last time out. When I got home I was cleaning out the truck. They tried several times to discuss the problems, but my mind was made up and about three weeks later I got home and cleaned out my truck, threw away all my bed linens, and left. Because I knew I would be driving again within a week I had no job lined up so I took my time that last trip. Then when I got home I made some calls and a few days later was driving again.

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Won't let you quit?

That's akin to wanting to break up with your girlfriend but she says no, so you just keep sticking around.

magoo68, NightWind, tommymonza and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.