Bad hopping when backing up, is it me or a problem with the truck?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Mr. Cob, Jun 22, 2018.

1. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    I assume your using low reverse if not give it a try .. I pulled 100 k with that setup in the past and it was smooth in low reverse ps you have 3 reverse gear

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy magoo68,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried it all the reverse gear positions, its still jerky, but its getting better I think its just me not being used to this clutch, the way the linkage is built when the truck starts to hop its hard to keep my leg from hopping also.

Dave

magoo68 Thanks this.
  4. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    It could very well be that you're not used to it, and any air ride will get hopping easier in reverse than forward, but there could be something wrong amplifying the problem.

Those Pete clutch linkages can get tight, I've never been a fan of that design, but they're still using it. You have 6 places that can tighten up, 4 rod ends and 2 cross shafts. The cross shafts have grease fittings and if you do not have the remote lube, you'll never find them if you didn't know they were there. They are usually fine with the some grease. But the rod ends often tighten up and make the clutch release a little jerky. With the engine off, just push the clutch all the way down and back up really slowly. If it's not smooth, something is tightening up. The shaft right off the trans is fairly easy to get to to check the end links, the other one is not so easy to see, but that is the one that tightens up first.

Also check the drive shocks, engine and cab mounts, all of those can amplify a clutch release problem. Cab and engine mounts would need to be pretty bad and probably make a clunking noise at that point, but it doesn't hurt to look at them.

SAR, magoo68 and Mr. Cob Thank this.
  5. Mr. Cob

Howdy GrapeApe,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I just had most of the clutch linkage replaced the rod ends were in bad shape every thing is well greased the pedal works and moves freely. I am leaning more and more to thinking that I just need to get used to this clutch and how it works.

Dave

6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Some auto shifts have the “hill assist” switch turn that off when backing, it’ll only stay off for about5 minutes or ontil you get to like 20 mph forward

7. Mr. Cob

Howdy judge,

Hill assist, is something used on new fully automated transmissions, the Auto-Shift, the first generation like what is in my truck were built long before such a thing was made.

Dave

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.