Basic Question about O/O Taxes......

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Miami Trucker, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Miami Trucker

Miami Trucker Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Miami,Fl.
    Hello Folks.....Just wanted to Know ? Do O/O's PAY The TAXES on The Money they Make AFTER ALL of Their DEDUCTIONS ? : Fuel....Insurance....Personal Expenses.....Truck Payments.....

Or do they have to Pay Taxes on The Gross that you make every week ?

I'm asking because I've always been Told that always keep about 10%-15% of Your Gross every week and that should come close what You Owe.

But I was thinking that does not make any sense ?

I mean isn't it FAIR to PAY TAXES Only on The Money you have Left over you Pay ALL of Your Expenses ?

I don't KNOW ? That's WHY ? I'm asking.....

And Please : JUST The FACTS !

Thanks You and Keep on Truckin'......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    You pay taxes on your profit. This is gross minus expenses and depreciation. Then depending on your tax bracket you will pay a percentage of your profit to taxes. Federal, state, local/city.

4. JoelP

JoelP Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2018
    You're mostly correct on both assumptions:
    • Yes, you only pay taxes on taxable income - essentially what's left over from gross after you deduct your business expenses. Depending on your personal tax situation outside of business (married, single, kids/no kids, rent/own home, etc), your tax rate on this NET income may be 20% - 30%+
    • OR, you can use 10% of GROSS to get reasonably close to the 20%-30% of NET.
    Both are ballpark numbers. Your tax preparer should be able to give you much closer estimates based on the rest of your personal situation.

5. Miami Trucker

Jul 4, 2008
    Miami,Fl.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for The Reply and If that is Correct ?

Then wouldn't it make More Sense to Buy a NEWER Truck ?
    If they are ONLY going to TAX what your NET IS !

All This Time I though Buying a New or Newer Truck would be a Negative TAX Wise ?

Guess I was Wrong ? !

Peace.

6. JoelP

JoelP Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Correct, a new(er) truck, with likely a larger payment, would increase your expenses, and therefore decrease your taxable income.

It will also decrease the amount of cash in your pocket at the end of every week.

It's never made sense to me to spend $1.00 to save $0.30. If you need a new truck, then get one, and write off as much of it as you can (lease vs purchase...deducted differently), but don't simply spend your profits to get a deduction.

In other words, don't let the tail (taxes) wag the rest of the dog.

7. Miami Trucker

Jul 4, 2008
    Miami,Fl.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well I'm Single with NO Wife or Kids......
    And I KNOW that being SINGLE is a TAX PUNISHMENT in itself !

But I'd Rather BUY a NEW Truck with a Warranty,that won't Break Down,and ONLY I have DRIVEN IT !
    I just LOOKED at Lone Mountain,and Hell they Only want about 13,800 Down on a NEW Volvo 780 !

With The Monthly Payments $ 2595 for 5 Years and The Truck IS YOURS !

I can Pay that in The First week of The Month !

Thank again for The Info.....and All This Time I was LOOKING at Older Pre-Emission Trucks !

Peace.

8. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Form an llc and elect to be treated as an S corporation tax wise,pay yourself biweekly or monthly a reasonable salary and take a profit distribution when you do your taxes.
    Put some of your salary into a 401k pretax and the company is allowed to match your deposit to a certain amount,you will save A lot of money.

kathyegan Thanks this.
  9. Drivingotr4life

Drivingotr4life Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2018

What's up bro you out of miami who you run for? Taxes suck good thing my plan is rack up 50k in taxes owed and use my dual citizenship with no extrradution to escape mwwhahaha just kidding

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Another twilight zone thread.

You depreciate the truck, you don't write off the payments.

You pay taxes on your net earnings.

It is fair because you get to deduct all the wonderful things like fuel and parts and fixens at the dealer.

If you own a truck, get someone to do your taxes, a cpa or an ea and have them show you how to save on taxes.

SavageMuffin and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  11. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Lesson one: taxes are irrelevant in almost EVERY situation. Make the best business decisions you can, make as much money as you can, and send the government their fair share.

You are NEVER better off spending $1.00 to keep from sending the government $0.30.

Lesson two: take an accounting class, and hire a good tax accountant. You have to know your numbers before you can make good business decisions.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.