Been driving tanker for a year just a few questions

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Haydenwitt31, May 3, 2024.

1. Haydenwitt31

Haydenwitt31 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2024
    I’ve been driving tanker for a year after achieving my CDL at 18 I’m now 19 hauling for a local ag company and pull tanker in the spring, since last year I have improved and gotten more confident, but I cannot seem for the life of me to go any faster around curves, I’m worried it’s gonna roll but I have baffles. I know the saying is to be go as slow as you feel comfortable that way you know you’ll be safe, but from a 3rd generation truck driver I feel like I may be going too slow and just worried it’s going to roll?

Suspect Zero Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Finding out how fast is 'too fast', is not a good option for a long, safe career.

I'd stick with your current style.

Lav-25, tscottme, RockinChair and 8 others Thank this.
  4. Haydenwitt31

May 3, 2024
    Fair enough thanks brother

5. David_FL

David_FL Bobtail Member

May 3, 2024
    Orlando/Daytona Beach, FL
    Just my 2 cents from a non-driver... I'm a math guy, so calculate how much time is being wasted by going slower in those curves. You are probably wasting seconds off your delivery, lol. I can't imagine anyone on here would say to try to go faster.

6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    You've probably heard it before from the older hands, but the saying is -

"You can go too slow down the mountain as many times as you like, you only go down it too fast . . . once"

7. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    I’ve been pulling a tank for five years now. Slow and steady works the best every time.

Lav-25, tscottme, RockinChair and 4 others Thank this.
  8. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Do not mistake c0ckyness for confidence. You can go "too slow" a thousand times.... "too fast" only once!

9. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Speed & fatigue is dangerous. I wouldn't recommend any tanker driver to ever go faster. If anything possibly slower. This happened last year to a local tanker driver now deceased. As a Trucker pushing 30 years experience I give extra respect to Hazmat tanker drivers Drive safe! Speed is not worth your life.

Last edited: May 3, 2024
    Bud A. and Suspect Zero Thank this.
  10. KDHCryo

KDHCryo Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2023
    20 years here driving tankers smooth bore through the hills of PA and WV. Best bet for newbie tankers that can drive in good conditions, keep your speed at the limit posted for the curve or exit ramp. If it's your first time through an exit ramp or curve drop your speed by 5 mph under the posted yellow safe curve speed, once you know that curve you can adjust to load and weather conditions.

Driving a tanker is like driving on snow and ice all the time, even when it's sunny and 75 degrees outside.

Driving tankers is feeling how that load shifts, depending on weather, road, equipment, and traffic conditions. And it shifts constantly.

The only way to do it is to get an experience for it, and you've already got three years, at 20 years I'm still learning how fast I can go around curves on I-77 WV turnpike when it's snowing and I'm 79K with hazmat coming down flattop mountain into Charleston WV.

Last edited: May 3, 2024
    Lav-25 and Bud A. Thank this.
  11. Haydenwitt31

May 3, 2024
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.