Been Thinking About Going O/O

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mjd4277, Mar 3, 2018.

1. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    dear OP why do you want to buy an Argosy ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Because a cabover can get in and out of tight spaces better than a conventional. Plus the Argosy uses the same suspensions as the Freightliner conventional cabs so ride comfort won’t be an issue.

4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    the ride comfort will be big issue. the suspension of freightliner trucks are same but ride is different. I suggest you to take an argosy and drive it 4-5 hours to see the difference... but if you will do pickups and deliveries in tight places always go with argosy

5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    "...How much on average did it typically cost to get your own authority,including taxes,IFTA,registration fees,permits etc?"
    I am based in Illinois too Lets see...
    $900 to pay the service to set me up with FMCSA + IFTA+ Illinois Intrastate + drug consortium
    (administrative fees were in included)
    3K down payment for Insurance as a new entrant (new MC# - new authority)
    3K dowpayment - to buy my own dry van trailer (brand new)
    2K - my IRP (truck plate)

So about 9k, if I were to do it from scratch.
    I already had IRP so I had to cough out only 7K to have the honor.

SoDel and mjd4277 Thank this.
  6. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    I just got my authority, and the total for everything to get me ready to roll was about $7500.00, including my down payment on my trailer ($2600.00), already had the truck. Anyway, have a few thousand extra saved up beyond everything else to cover your bills while you wait on the assorted government agencies involved to get their heads and ***es wired together. They say it takes about 4 weeks to get everything done...they don't mention the extra two or three afterward when all the stuff you needed that authority letter to get signed up for has to get processed.

kenn2632, SoDel and mjd4277 Thank this.
  7. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    You don’t need your own authority to be an OO, if you sign on with a company like Landstar. You get to pick your own loads off of their boards. Yes they do take a cut of the money, and you can lease a trailer from them @ additional cost. I mentioned Landstar, but there are others.

Can be a good way to ease into the OO world. Many have gone this way, before getting their own authority. Kinda like walk before you run.

One sticky point is the truck. It has to meet their requirements, and be in good shape. I’m not sure what they would accept, such as a COE, age of truck is also an issue.

See: Frequently Asked Questions | Landstar

You might also watch a YouTube driver, who followed that exact path. Search for him, as “lifeisgood”, here’s a link to one of many of his posts:

Good luck on your journey!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    kenn2632, SoDel and mjd4277 Thank this.
  8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    My first year 2016 as an independent was miserable. Had I not had some nice cash cushion stashed, I would have sunk like Titanic with Orchestra playing. This year though, relatively, I am kicking arse. Not to brag too much. But I think, for my kind of psyche, going Independent was the only way, cannot see the reversal now. Most important is to be able to call your own shots. This way there is nobody else to blame but you. As a complete fresh owner, leasing on to someone would be a viable option, if under-capitalized. If going Independent, you had better have at least 20- 30K even after set up costs when starting operations to have enough cushion , or else there is too much risk. So 2-3 months worth of expenses is the right rule of of thumb.

SoDel, fordconvert and mjd4277 Thank this.
  9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    If only i could have a $ for every time this question gets asked i'd be well on the way to retirement. Its great to have goals before you even attempt to spend any kind of cash your really best to think this through quite thoroughly, get an accountant to do a risk assessment for you this will be the best money you ever spent and it should be fully tax deductible too. first thing he's going to look at is your cash reserves you'll need quite alot to carry you when you first start, my estimate would be have enough to carry you for at least 3-6 months with out a single dollar coming in If you do get money coming in then that'll be an extra bonus and will help lighten your " financial load". I say this not to deter you or anyone else cause we all want and like to see people succeed however education is so very important too.

TheFriscoKid Thanks this.
  10. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    You’ve been on here a while. I’m behind you 100%.

Being in MA - does @Ruthless have any local hints ?

LS downfall is 65% on van using theirs. Better options available.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Argosys are overpriced and many are beaten into the ground.

Parts are getting harder to find.

kenn2632 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.